Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My name is Riz and I had an Alfa back 19 years ago. Back then parts where not so easy to come by and money was even tighter. These days it seems the parts are easier to find than the money!

I picked up an 87 Quad that needs some work. I want to replace the carpet but was wondering what you may have done in this situation?

Is it better to just have someone recarpet it or buy the molded kits.

Is the kit something I can do myself? I can find my way around a car but the panels can be tricky for me.

Any and All advice is helpful and appreciated.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Welcome to the board! Just so you know, we love pictures here ;)
What's wrong with your carpet? Worn or faded? If just faded, I know many folks on here have successfully dyed their carpets. Someone may chime in, or do a search on this forum

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have recently dyed the carpets on my 87 Quad and the results were excellent.
After removing them and a really good shampooing, I used Rit "Scarlet Red".
The faded areas are like new now, the only spots showing are some dark heavily soiled areas that would not clean with any substance I tried (probably paint spills). Its a lot of work but very worthwhile for me.
George

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carpet

Hi Guys, I will post pics later today. Its a black car was siting in the pasture for the last couple of years. Gas Tank is out of it, seats are good but will need a new dash cover and the small window on the drivers side is missing the latch so rain got inside the car and it molded pretty bad.

Its fairly rotted where the water pooled.

Car will need at least a good buff and wax, and the hardtop will need to be repainted. Will also need a couple of caps for the phone dial rims and two of the badges are faded.

I got it pretty cheap and I figured why not. Relive my youth. Nothing like having my car break down on the way to a job interview to remind of my youth:)

The gas tank is out of the car but it did run before they took it out. Now I am guessing it will need a fuel pump too.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I prefer a one piece molded carpet, but they can be a little more difficult to install that the multi-piece sets which are easier to find.

Welcome, and all the best!

Hi Guys, I will post pics later today. Its a black car was siting in the pasture for the last couple of years. Gas Tank is out of it, seats are good but will need a new dash cover and the small window on the drivers side is missing the latch so rain got inside the car and it molded pretty bad.

Its fairly rotted where the water pooled.

Car will need at least a good buff and wax, and the hardtop will need to be repainted. Will also need a couple of caps for the phone dial rims and two of the badges are faded.

I got it pretty cheap and I figured why not. Relive my youth. Nothing like having my car break down on the way to a job interview to remind of my youth:)

The gas tank is out of the car but it did run before they took it out. Now I am guessing it will need a fuel pump too.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am currently breaking a 1988 Veloce that got flooded May 1. The car was submerged up to the dash 2 to 3 hours, then dried out. I had just installed a pretty good set of red carpets I bough out of a Quad. I bought the whole set, car and trunk. Everything. Also have the tank with in-tank pump (new 12 months ago) If you are interested in red, contact me direct at;

Robert Hill in Memphis, Tn [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
car was siting in the pasture for the last couple of years.....the gas tank is out of the car but it did run before they took it out. Now I am guessing it will need a fuel pump too.
Whoa, whoa, whoa - the car has been sitting in a pasture for the last couple of years, and the gas tank is out? I would verify that it can be made to run before I even thought about minor stuff like carpets.

I don't mean to sound negative, but every car ran until it was parked. Sitting in a pasture can do all sorts of damage to a car. Or, you might just change the fluids (and I mean ALL the fluids, including brake) and have it work just fine. But my advice is to get it running, steering, and braking before spending any time and money on cosmetic stuff like carpets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts