Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I just wanted to throw up a post to introduce myself - and my "new" to me 1989 Spider Veloce. But before I do that, allow me to share a little background:

Back in 1988, I became the proud owner of a 1988 dark blue metallic Spider Veloce. It was a dealer demo model as I recall - had like 1500 miles on it. I chuckle when I think of this - as to this day I can still recall that 'new Alfa smell'. Everything was new. Parts were abundant. And to think at the time it was under warranty - and there was actually an Alfa Romeo dealership at that time to take it to. Imagine that. Even new, however, the car was not without it's qwerks - but - that didn't bother me.

I had "Bella" as I called her for several years and ultimately ended up selling her in order to get some additional funds for graduate school. The sheer enjoyment that car provided me has stuck with me through the years and to be candid, to this day, I still regret selling Bella.

I always knew that one day I would get another one. I grew to know the cars well. But you know how it goes... priorities change and life changes. Finish school, go to work, get married, house, kid... and so on. Through all of it, my passion for Alfas never left me.

Well, after a number of years of being away from the Alfa-fold, I'm happy to say I'm back - and I'd like to introduce you to... Bella. A white 1989 Spider Veloce with only 41,000 original miles. The previous owner had her fitted with a hard top as well. A one-owner car with no accidents - she is in great shape, considering her age - but, of course, is not without the need for some attention.

Some paint freshening up is in order in areas, leather is... well...old but not dead, new cowl drain hoses needed, a frozen heater fan, some tattered vaccum hoses, needs motor mounts, still has original windshield that has developed that fog in the corners, one of the front calipers drags a tad, no rust to speak of, that dreaded stinky fuel check valve needs a cleaning... the usual stuff from sitting for such a long time.

Amazingly - all (and I do mean all) electricals work - the clutch is new, new shocks and cat-back exhaust is new. No leaks. Just gave her a major tuneup. I think we're going to be OK.

At any rate, I am very grateful there is a community like this on the web (they didn't have these back in 1988) - and I look forward to making Bella better than new and hopefully being able to contribute and help support this great community - once again.

More pics to come - but here is one the day she was getting ready to come home...

Thanks!

Tony

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
congratulations!

Welcome back, TonyM!

~Chris

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
congratulations.

hope ownership this time around is just as enjoyable as the first!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Congrats and welcome! I too am on my second Alfa...the first having been less than a year old (1982) and under warranty. The car stranded me on more than one occasion and the litany of repairs were frequent and unusual. The car was a pain in the behind.
My current car is much better and I attribute my enjoyment with the ability to be more active in its repair and maintenance due to the information on this board.

Enjoy your car and don't be afraid to ask questions!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Congratulations! The car looks great. Though I've never had any firsthand experience with Alfa dealers, their less-than-terrific reputation in the U.S. suggests that you'll likely find the helpful folks on this website more useful than your old dealership, warranty or not.

Evan

·
Registered
502 Posts
Minnesota? Welcome, neighbor! )))

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies and warm welcome... no doubt questions will arise as I work on the car... but I also hope to be able to provide answers for others too.

For now, the dash is out (oh what an adventure that was with A.C. no less) - and work on the replacing the heater fan, cowl hoses and while I'm at it giving the heater core a cleaning has begun...

QV - yep - Minnesota. Great to see someone else on here from MN!

--Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts