Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that the cold Chicago weather has crept in I have the spider in the garage for winter upgrades. This is the first time I had the back end up on on jack stands and I noticed a sharp angle difference between the drivers and passenger side on the rear axle. After sleeping on it and looking again today I noticed that the fabric straps were tight and that there was a distinct difference between the two sides. Is this normal??:confused:

Drivers Side:

Passenger Side:

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
From the pix, if the axle is paying fully cradled in both sides limit straps, no, that is not normal.
The left side looks pretty normal to me.
The right side has perhaps broken in the past and someone simply cut the ends off and re~used what was left of them instead of replacing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. You are probably right then...

With such little travel I would think this would really affect the handling, no? (At least right hand turns :D )

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have jacked the car up numerous times this year but it was always one side at a time. So I never really noticed this before. Suspension is one of my winter projects...I'll add the straps to the list!

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I would not think that the short strap will affect handling on a semi smooth road, unless it is so short that one side is lower than the other when sitting at rest. Is the static ride height about the same. The short strap might pick up a wheel on rough roads. I don't have any limit straps on my 105 race car. I needed the extra room for more tire.

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
Yea, I would definitely replace that short strap. Read what has been written on this topic here on the BB (which is a LOT) - removing the phillips headed screws that retain the straps can be an adventure. Which is probably why the PO just cut and spliced the old strap.

Note that strap length has to be right - too long and the rear springs can come loose from their perches. Too tight, and well, you get the situation you have on your R side - limited suspension travel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Straps come in a set...Why not do it right, and replace both at the same time. When I replaced both of mine in 1994...(car is an 86) I seem to remember that there was an inner and outer..actually 2 on a side. They can't be too expensive, and the handling will be as it was when new...GREAT !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts