Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - Need a consensus answer to this question - what size AWG or MM is the main Positive/Negative cable that runs from the battery to Ground and Starter? I've heard it's a "1" or a "0" or a "1/0" (which is also referred to as a "0". I just measured mine, and it seems to have a cross-section in the 8mm range, which would put it in the 1/0 range, but it could be all the way up to a "2/0" or "00" size. Confused? Yup, me too!

Does anyone have any 100% 'for sure' answer? The bb seems to be missing this info...

Thanks!
steve

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Hi, the main battery cable to the starter is denoted as "N35" in the Alfa factory GTV6 wiring diagram, which refers to the cross-section of the wiring strands in square millimeters. You can check the link below to convert from mm cross section (which is how most automakers in Europe determine wire size) to AWG:

And, as you suspect, it's between a 1 and a 2AWG! If you are sticking with an original-style starter, it might be a good idea to step up to a 1 AWG, but if you are going with a modern gear reduction starter that draws less current, then you might be able to get away with smaller wiring if you want to save weight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts