Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,701 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Some of you may have heard of a town, Mandello del Lario, a small town located by eastern leg af Largo din Como. It is a small town with almost 10,000 inhabitants.

I should like to acknowledge that Google maps were needed to see where it were .

However, the place is not known to general a group of Alfa Romeo motorsport enthusiasts, But for Bikers, I am certain, for it is here that Moto Guzzi has their headquarters.

It might loosen up the memory.

Moto Guzzi has its headquarters in Mandello del Lario – an isolated and uninteresting city – which in1921, this quiet location has been home to the oldest motorcycle factory, that is still producing.

Others has perhaps knowledge about the site- because of the wind tunnel for scale models- of Moto Guzzi, that was rented out to the body builders down in Milan.

Initially, ATL built individual units on the 1900 CSS parts on a tube frame and components.

Later, type 105 platforms / chassis from Arese have been used.

I heard about these for the first time 15-20 years ago, when there was a copy of action at Luzzago in Brescia. At the time, there was not much information about the car. It was sold for 75,000 euros. For many, a very high price for a vehicle that could come from a garage- Carrozzeria. Lately, there has been a copy for sale in the United States. And it is known that at least 3 peace of this design is in existence

·
Registered
236 Posts
Twin Spark... truly exceptional!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have been to Mandello del Lario, but (so far as I recall) not to vist the town or anybody there. It has been several years, but I am certain that I passed by more than once. Perhaps riding with a friend to see a mixture of older Alfa Romeo parts while my friend delivered something to the owner. I have several references to people I know who live there or have lived there. One is or was a member of the AISA. I can identify an Alfa Romeo Super that was sold there during 1956. A fuoriserie Fiat 1100B. A Fiat 8V lived there from 1955 to 1958. An early Siata Amica may still be there? Lurani's Nibbio I received lots of attention from Guzzi mechanics in the 1930's when a new Guzzi engine was fitted. I have listings for automotive related business in the general area as of 1964 (and other times) and know that the Registro Storico Moto Guzzi was based at Moto Guzzi S.p.A. roughly 15 to 20 years ago. I even purchased some parts at a swap meet from a guy who was living in Mandello del Lario. Some good friends have a second home not far from there. I can certainly do some additional checking, but why? Based upon a sense of possibility conveyed by a few photos and a few words without any real documentation?

And, while I can acknowledge that there are a great many things that I do not know (hence my historical studies of more than 40 years) this car's stated origins seem extremely unlikely to be correct, at least as they have been stated up to this time. That alone makes it seem to me like "historical nonsense" ... unless documented otherwise. I am not going to waste time trying to prove a negative.

Interestingly, Mandello del Lario has come up in the origin story of another special "Alfa Romeo" that clearly has no basis on an actual historically interesting car when one studies what it is comprised of. At least, not the way it appears today. Stories abound. Let us not promote those that seem preposterous without finding some real basis in an historically validated way. Telling stories about what was possible can seem interesting, but often mislead us.

Conrero produced some number of twin-plug heads during the 1950's and very likely into the 1960's. He was probably not the only one to do so. But, if that cylinder head was not created rather recently, one rather cool component does not validate such an origin story ... that is mostly implied thus far.

I wonder if this car is one of the many fanciful creations that have come from the F.lli Greppi operation, also not far away from Mandello Lario, just a bit to the north?

So, I can agree that the visual impact is rather exciting and cool. But I'll not say it is historically interesting or even valid until there is one real piece of evidence. Hopefully more than one piece of evidence?

Please tell us more about ATL and all that it has done! Where was it located and when did it get started? Or, should I just look it up online? And try to believe what may be found there? OK ... you've talked me into it. Maybe I will eat some crow later?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
That did not take long? A.T.L. was founded 1969 by Ercole Zuccoli in Mandello del Lario. They offered a series of dune buggies during the 1970's. Probably had some fun?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Following up on a sense of possibility, I checked my files for "Zuccoli" as the name sounded familiar. There are several different folks named "Zuccoli" in my study files. Perhaps a dozen or more? Not all in Italy. One "hit" is for a street name in Milano that appears more than once. The most appearances come from Carlo Zuccoli of Milano. He raced in Alfa Romeo and Abarth cars during the 1960's, some of the time with Scuderia Sant'Ambroeus, also based in Milano. No sign (yet?) of any relation to Ercole Zuccoli.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Thank you John.

I was just teasing.

Re Motto Guzzi. Do you by any chance know what engine Savonuzzi used in the Falcone or SVA midget, or perhaps has a picture of that engine. I have trayed to find a definite answer, but I am uncertain, of what is the right answer

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Different cars. Different engines. I believe I have shared published images previously of the "Midget". Some show the engine and describe it. I believe the Falcone had a Guzzi engine. I believe I have images of that as well. I will check. Maybe I will start another thread if I do not find one that is appropriate. Maybe tonight?

The thing that concerns me about the ATL fantasy is that it has already taken on a life on the internet for a few cars that are interesting in their own right, but which are pretending to be (being promoted to be) something they are not. The cars are not at fault. The people who have promoted them based on fantasy rather than reality should be forced to live in isolation with other chronic liars and cheats.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
That’s is a general problem with auctions, they have to sell more than the cars. The same can be seen in large descriptions I sales add.

In the same way they are overselling the product. Maybe its only a part of the present time.

I will be pleased if you have some infos on Falcone. A new tread could be the best way.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have brought a thread from 2012 back to life in the "Other Italian Cars" section. I will add more later.

·
Registered
671 Posts
There is something about the look of the car as a whole and individual parts contained on it that is suggestive of 'made last decade' not last century. Maybe I'm fooling myself, but having witnessed the creation of both "LeMans" and "MM"
6Cs from 6C Berlinas in recent years, I just have that feeling again...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts