Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
Just bought a 1991 Spider with an automatic for my wife- found it in Orlando. Can't find anything at all in the owners manual regarding the auto trans and I mean nothing. Was there a supplement published? The PO was quite thorough in his documentation but there's nothing in any of the manuals that came with the car. I'll buy the car disc with all the manuals when I get her home. Can anyone tell me the proper way to check the transmission fluid level? An engine-off fluid level check was what I did before I hit the road for a test drive.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,492 Posts
Try page 89 of the owners manual.

I think there's a bit more in the Cardisc, but that page has details on level check and fluid change.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You need to check the transmission fluid with engine running, in neutral.
The levels are different with a cold engine compared to hot.
The procedure is described in the excerpt from Cardisc attached.

Enjoy your car!

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
A little known quirk with the zf 3hp22 transmission is that revving the motor with the trans in neutral or park can damage the "A" clutch pack. If the motor needs to be revved it is suggested to put the selector in park and shut off the engine for at least 1 minute, start the engine and without moving the selector to drive or reverse and then the motor can be revved to only 2000 rpm for a max. of 90 seconds. Some states do a high rpm emissions test that can damage the transmission. I got this information from a BMW website as many of their cars use the same transmission as does Volvo, Peugot, and others.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. I bet most garages these days would not be aware either.
I vaguely knew that you shouldn't rev automatics excessively in neutral but thought that it would still be OK up to 3,000 or so.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try page 89 of the owners manual.

I think there's a bit more in the Cardisc, but that page has details on level check and fluid change.
Gubi page 89 in my 1991 Owners Manual discusses the rear suspension. What year is your S4? Maybe they added the information later?

Thanks for the info Anglo Spider, understand check it in Park (you say Neutral?)

I want to get the Car Disc but their website does not indicate the product will run on Windows 7. What OS are you running for your Car Disc?

Thanks BobHalfa- is there a good website with information on the ZF trans?

·
Registered
8,068 Posts

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,492 Posts
Well, it's page 89 in my electronic copy of the 91 manual. Don't have the printed one to compare to right now.

IIRC the Cardisc manuals are all in PDF format now, so they should work on any PC.

·
Registered
304 Posts
spider auto trans owner manual

Hello All
Just bought a 1991 Spider with an automatic for my wife- found it in Orlando. Can't find anything at all in the owners manual regarding the auto trans and I mean nothing. Was there a supplement published? The PO was quite thorough in his documentation but there's nothing in any of the manuals that came with the car. I'll buy the car disc with all the manuals when I get her home. Can anyone tell me the proper way to check the transmission fluid level? An engine-off fluid level check was what I did before I hit the road for a test drive.
i have 1992 spider auto trans owners manual if your interested very rare item ,
please email [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I believe you can add automatic transmission fluid through the dipstick tube (the one closer to the windshield). Do this with a funnel and you can check the level at the same time. I would do this (topping up) if it's urgent (when noticing the level is exceedingly low). Otherwise, you could drain it all from the bottom and change it all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts