Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the automatic in 91 and newer Spiders is really bad. Can anybody speak to that from personal experience? I would like to buy my wife an automatic Spider but know nothing about the tranny.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,338 Posts
best way to ssssllllllllooooowww down a spider..
You got it. Why not buy a VW bug convertible?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have heard that the automatic in 91 and newer Spiders is really bad. Can anybody speak to that from personal experience? I would like to buy my wife an automatic Spider but know nothing about the tranny.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1990 automatic, and quess they are made up till 1994 in type 4 spiders. But hard to find. I am very happy , no problems in 5 years driving all over Southern Europe ! May be 1995 and later are bad!

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
There good transmissions. The ZF 3hp-22 was used in just about every series BMW from the late 70's through the 80's. They were also used by other european car makers.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts

You mean one of these? Yes, they are not easy to find. Check with Larry at APE, he "might " have one.
This one will go to the owner that buys our spider. It is perfect inside when I removed the pan. Jason at Alfissimo has a trans kit if you need one. Rebuild parts are available from Europe, with the hardest part to find is the metal cylinders that hold the clutch packs.

·
Premium Member
4,016 Posts
View attachment 1605561
You mean one of these? Yes, they are not easy to find. Check with Larry at APE, he "might " have one.
This one will go to the owner that buys our spider. It is perfect inside when I removed the pan. Jason at Alfissimo has a trans kit if you need one. Rebuild parts are available from Europe, with the hardest part to find is the metal cylinders that hold the clutch packs.
Hmm. That looks familiar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts