Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

In my searching for a Spider, I've decided I like the S4's better. there is a 1991 veloce for sale ($8k, 95k Miles, stated as running excellently, but needing new AC) that I'm considering. It looks nice in the pictures, and it has an automatic transmission.

Since I haven't driven a stick shift in over 15 years, the automatic would be nice. However, is it just one more expensive mechanical system that can fail on me?--then again, I've read tons of stuff about people working ont their manual transmissions. Also, does the automatic significantly decrease the power of the car? Does the rarity of the automatic transmission make the car more valuable?

By the way, this is probably a dumb question, but how quick/powerful are spiders? How would they fare against something like a modern ford Mustang in a race at a stop light? :cool:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,027 Posts
It's a pretty standard unit, IIRC, so reliability should not be an issue versus any other automatic car. At the very least you won't have to worry about those pesky synchronizer problems.

Folks around here tend to look down on the auto tranny cars as I think we tend to be enthusiasts and think that it detracts from the sporting nature of a car. For this reason, the automatics, though rare, don't command a price premium in the Alfa world and seem to be tougher to sell. Don't take this as gospel, but it's just my observations from watching Ebay and here.

If you're looking to race at stop lights, don't buy a Spider or some kid in a stock Civic is going to seriously smoke your butt. Spiders are great in the twisties but in a straight line most modern cars will eat you.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
First, forget buying a Spider to beat ANYTHING at a stoplight. We are talking 0-60 in like 10 seconds. Prob. slower in automatic version. Still, I did test drive an automatic spider. I thought it felt quite nice. Peppy. Try it.

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
i just purchased an automatic 2 months ago. i have no regrets or care if people look down upon the car since it is not a stick. i like it - so that is all that matters.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
i just purchased an automatic 2 months ago. i have no regrets or care if people look down upon the car since it is not a stick. i like it - so that is all that matters.

So true! :)

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Driving stick is like riding a bike; you can't forget it and it will come back to you real quickly...

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,027 Posts
Don't get me wrong - I was not dissing the automatic per se. All I'm saying is that Alfas appeal to a fairly limited portion of the US population (read: utter nutjobs) and of that population the majority seem to prefer a manual. The auto Spiders, despite being rare, don't seem to command any sort of price premium and seem to be harder to sell amongst the target market. That is all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts