Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Looks good. I have nothing against autos in my old age. I had enough of ****fting gears in cold weather. I would consider it if I could get sell my current ride(s).

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
That Spider looks gorgeous. I think people make way too much about an automatic transmission being a minus in a Spider. I don't see it as a minus, but rather as a choice. I don't know if I'll ever change my driving habits (I like shifting), and I don't know if Alfa ever offered one, but if there were a green CE automatic, I would be bidding... This car deserves to go to a good home.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
That Spider looks gorgeous. I think people make way too much about an automatic transmission being a minus in a Spider. I don't see it as a minus, but rather as a choice. I don't know if I'll ever change my driving habits (I like shifting), and I don't know if Alfa ever offered one, but if there were a green CE automatic, I would be bidding... This car deserves to go to a good home.

Best regards,
Alfa's literature says nothing that would lead me to believe there aren't any automatic CEs, but I have never seen one or heard of one.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alfa's literature says nothing that would lead me to believe there aren't any 5-speed CEs, but I have never seen one or heard of one.
Oh no, there are green 5-speed CEs for sure... (I was talking about a green automatic CE.) When I was at the 2005 AROC national convention concours in Tulsa, one such car pulled up right next to mine. It was owned by the same fellow who owns "Bonnie", the land-speed-record Spider. The CE was complete, with not many miles, all original and unmolested, although it only scored in the mid 80s range. It was for sale, and for such a car I thought the asking price of $22k :eek: was fair.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Oh no, there are green 5-speed CEs for sure... (I was talking about a green automatic CE.) When I was at the 2005 AROC national convention concours in Tulsa, one such car pulled up right next to mine. It was owned by the same fellow who owns "Bonnie", the land-speed-record Spider. The CE was complete, with not many miles, all original and unmolested, although it only scored in the mid 80s range. It was for sale, and for such a car I thought the asking price of $22k :eek: was fair.

Best regards,
Enrique... I made a Monday comment for sure! What I meant to say is that "Alfa's literature doesn't indicate that there aren't any automatic CEs"

But, like I tried to say... I've never seen one or heard evidence of one. There are plenty of green, red and yellow CEs out there! You and I both want a green one. I'd like mine with the tan interior. :D

I narrowly missed out on a sub-$7,000 not-quite-concours one (red/black) here in Texas. Still kicking myself!! My budget doesn't currently stretch high enough to afford a nice CE... so I will eventually settle for a rough one.

For the record, the nicest CE I've seen was owned by Vic (a BB member, though I forget his username) in Indianapolis. Absolutely mint in every possible way... a 99 point car. His is red on black and I believe he's the second owner. Last I saw the car was in the summer of 2006.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Best regards,
if miles are low and condition excellent - i agree, 22k is fair.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Best regards,
sounds like my car minus the CE.

i took it out today for a nice ride. unseasonably warm for NJ so i put the top down.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did they make the CE in black?

or red, green, yellow only?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Enrique... I made a Monday comment for sure! What I meant to say is that "Alfa's literature doesn't indicate that there aren't any automatic CEs"

But, like I tried to say... I've never seen one or heard evidence of one. There are plenty of green, red and yellow CEs out there! You and I both want a green one. I'd like mine with the tan interior. :D

I narrowly missed out on a sub-$7,000 not-quite-concours one (red/black) here in Texas. Still kicking myself!! My budget doesn't currently stretch high enough to afford a nice CE... so I will eventually settle for a rough one.

For the record, the nicest CE I've seen was owned by Vic (a BB member, though I forget his username) in Indianapolis. Absolutely mint in every possible way... a 99 point car. His is red on black and I believe he's the second owner. Last I saw the car was in the summer of 2006.
if mile are low and condition excellent - i agree, 22k is fair.
Hooligan: Your "Monday comment" makes sense to me now... :) I would love to have a green CE (yes, with a tan interior!), but realistically speaking I doubt that I'll be in the market for one any time soon. If anything, I will be making a concerted effort to downsize our number of vehicles. I'm just waiting for the right time. :rolleyes:

However, gents, I'm not really too worried about acquiring a series 4. I hate to say this, but I don't see the prices going anywhere but down... I see them as vehicles that are just starting to go through the "just another used car" phase, where they are being sold by their original owners, who took care of them, to second and third owners who may not have the $$ to do the same. Hence, most will become no better than an average driver. They are typically bought by people who have every intention of driving them, and that means wear. Few will remain in exceptional condition. (An example is the CE on Autotrader...)

Other factors to consider are that as nice as they are, these cars are not sought after by collectors. They are not historical. They are not eligible for any exclusive events and there are a lot of them. Hence, while we may appreciate them, in general the demand is soft. Soft demand means that a serious seller will have to lower his price. As a car changes hands, each transaction is done for less $$ and the trend continues... This drags prices down in general, and eventually pulls down even the CE prices. Of course, the really mint examples will always be valued beyond any "market" range. At some point they will begin to rise in value, but I don't think that will happen until years have gone by and other more collectible cars become so expensive, that buyers will start to turn to other cars, like these Spiders.

Best regards,

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
did they make the CE in black?

or red, green, yellow only?
I really don't know... Now that you mention this, I have never seen a black one, but I think I have seen a white one... Not 100% sure about the white one though...

Please note that the black ones are the fastest, so being extra special they can't be lumped with other cars. ;)

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really don't know... Now that you mention this, I have never seen a black one, but I think I have seen a white one... Not 100% sure about the white one though...

Best regards,
i have never seen a green / black interior - have you?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
:eek::eek: wiping tears from my eyes...;) lol

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
:eek::eek: wiping tears from my eyes...;) lol

Tell ya what, fly me out there, wine me, dine me, and let me drive your Spider... and then I will consider giving it my vote! :) Vic's is the nicest car I've personally seen, though I am sure there are a few other very nice CEs.

Yep, both black and white Ce models exist(ed).
True... the registry shows that lucky #13 is black, but I don't show any other black or white CEs. I'm fairly certain a few exist.

By the way, if anyone wants a recent copy of the registry, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hooligan: Your "Monday comment" makes sense to me now... :) I would love to have a green CE (yes, with a tan interior!), but realistically speaking I doubt that I'll be in the market for one any time soon. If anything, I will be making a concerted effort to downsize our number of vehicles. I'm just waiting for the right time. :rolleyes:

However, gents, I'm not really too worried about acquiring a series 4. I hate to say this, but I don't see the prices going anywhere but down... I see them as vehicles that are just starting to go through the "just another used car" phase, where they are being sold by their original owners, who took care of them, to second and third owners who may not have the $$ to do the same. Hence, most will become no better than an average driver. They are typically bought by people who have every intention of driving them, and that means wear. Few will remain in exceptional condition. (An example is the CE on Autotrader...)

Other factors to consider are that as nice as they are, these cars are not sought after by collectors. They are not historical. They are not eligible for any exclusive events and there are a lot of them. Hence, while we may appreciate them, in general the demand is soft. Soft demand means that a serious seller will have to lower his price. As a car changes hands, each transaction is done for less $$ and the trend continues... This drags prices down in general, and eventually pulls down even the CE prices. Of course, the really mint examples will always be valued beyond any "market" range. At some point they will begin to rise in value, but I don't think that will happen until years have gone by and other more collectible cars become so expensive, that buyers will start to turn to other cars, like these Spiders.

Best regards,
I have to agree with you... S4 Spider values are generally on a decline right now. S3s seem to have leveled out and I'd expect them to increase if the overall collector car market increases. I know that it was possible to buy a sub $1,500 S3 that ran just three years ago, but it's very hard to do that today... a cheap runner is $3,000. They'll never be Pebble Beach cars, of course, but they'll be nice "affordable" collector cars for many years to come.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts