Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Autodelta Golden Years History Site Reaches 86,000 page views

Just want to inform and remind you that...over the past four years a dedicated team of Alfa Romeo historians both here in North America and in four different points in Europe have been working to build and improve the only wide-ranging historical site covering the entire Autodelta S.p.A. history.

The site is now available in three languages of English, German and Italian and can be sourced at www.AutodeltaGoldenYears.com

Special features include the true background history on the work of Franco Scaglione and Ing. Carlo Chiti collaborating to achieve the stunning Stradale and "inside baseball" interviews with people who were there during the Golden Years. The birth of the Berlinetta Aerodinamico Tecnica cars #5,7,and 9 is explained using genuine never before seen internal Bertone documents. The entire feature is based on personal interviews with Mr. Scaglione's only child Giovanna who had selected our team for her first interview outside of Italy in 24 years...and records derived from the Alfa Romeo Museo Storico and from Autodelta retirees and confidants of Ing. Carlo Chiti who have preserved internal records unseen by but a few individuals over the past 60 years.

A rather unique chronological review of the T-33 series is there also...hundreds of timeline images from the first Fleron car of 1966 through to the age the Turbo 33TT12SC of 1977.

Visit Autodelta Golden Years History Site

Attachments

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Bob, thanks for sharing this huge bit of AutoDelta history! I remember seeing your article and most of your photographs in the 'Alfa Owner' and really enjoyed it. How cool to just pack your bags and fly to Italy! Also interesting that they would allow you and only you to photograph the top secret location at will.

Are you in the last photograph, at the end, with the dog? If so which one is you?

Mark
PS. A friend and neighbor, Ward W. owns the blue AutoDelta prepared Montreal 'Stradale' and he is getting it ready to take to Montreal Canada for the 50th anniversary of the Montreal at Expo '67

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hello Mark and Thanks for your note!

I am glad you and many thousands of others like my website...actually it is no longer 'my' website as I adopted four other distinguished Alfa Romeo historian figures living in Rome, Genova, Hamburg and Belgium who have really helped me find privately-owned material from their decades old archives.

We are by no means finished with the task ....as the owner of the movie "The Speed Merchants" ...for example...has permitted us to integrate movie materials into the various site locations...plus a host of other 'stuff' (a lot of material actually) highlighting the period 1970-1977 in chronological development of the T-33 which we have just not had time to sort through...I ask the European editors to remember that the website is a hobby and not a job...just reminding them to do the work when they feel like it ...after wives, jobs and bill paying is completed.

On May 24th I should be interviewing Countess Giovanna Scaglione in her father's living room to capture her feelings about her fathers long hours, days, months and years creating the greatest automobile designs of the twentieth century. BAT 5, 7,9 the ATS, Giuletta cars...etc.

It is 'I' shown in the final picture of that first page standing against the wall outside of the main entrance of Autodelta...in the brown shirt holding my arms together.

Glad to learn of your friends' Montreal. When he passes northbound on US-87 outside of New York remind him to use me as a contact if he discovers any mechanical problems along the route of Montreal,Quebec....is the car really an Autodelta car? I know of the green one and the orange one that were elaborated but his color I had ont seen kicking around the customer area.

Again, thanks for checking in. I am delighted that the website captured your imagination,

Bob Little

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,448 Posts
Thank you Bob, I can somewhat relate as I also carried a camera and was fortunate enough to document my formative Alfa years, along with other experiences, and can appreciate the effort. Thanks again for sharing!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow, this is fascinating. Thanks for putting all this together and sharing it. Only had time for a quick look so far, definitely worthy of many visits.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
That is a fascinating story Bob. The photos are wonderful. I look forward to updates.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now more than 86,000 views of the site has been reported by the hosting company...three thousand more than initially reported in February when I first placed the Alfabb notice. Thanks viewers!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Autodelta enthusiasts: We are up to 102,000 "page views" and one heck of a lot of new material has been added to the Chronological Section of the T33 (in three languages and hundreds of images) over the past 7 months, the first new article about Franco Scaglione (BAT 5,6,7, Giulietta Sprint, many Bertone models...) 24 years in English has been added by our editorial team...that we flew to Italy to meet and record Scaglione’s daughter Giovanna... and generally new photogrpahs from the racing perspective have been posted. Thanks for enjoying each page view! Bob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The idea of a Autodelta-based book crossed my mind for a few nanoseconds but the funds involved in maintaining a website are very efficiently spent as compared to the costs of a self-published book. Most of the self-publishing industry is based on a writers' desire to 'self-agrandize' himself or herself....and the $2,500 cost does not measure up the efficiency of creating a worldwide heritage site where thousands of people can view the site at a moments notice. Hence, no book will be published, not even for my coffee table in my living room!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I get that. but still....i'd pay for it! would love to see these photo's in all their glossy glory. haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts