Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who says that the 164 is too big of a car to compete in an Autocross. Here is a video of my 94Q at an autocross in Greensboro last month. This run netted me fast time of the day, ok the competion was not intese but nevertheless beating a bunch of two seater sports cars, plus a half a dozen Bimmers on a very tight course surprised even me.

Enjoy and turn up the volume.

Amedeo

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Jeez, the car sounds awesome and powerful, but top time of the day? The car looks very sharp!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I enjoyed seeing that Amedeo. Do you have poly bushings or stock rubber? I would love to try my hand at autocrossing some day, but I'm too afraid to blow my tranny, since I've done that once already. :( These V6s are so willing to hit redline so very quickly aren't they?
Charles

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I enjoyed seeing that Amedeo. Do you have poly bushings or stock rubber? I would love to try my hand at autocrossing some day, but I'm too afraid to blow my tranny, since I've done that once already. :( These V6s are so willing to hit redline so very quickly aren't they?
Charles
The car is for the most part stock including the bushing. I have mounted 16 inches OZ wheels with 225-50 Kumho tires and a Stebro exhaust. It is an unbelievable engine the willingness and the sound past 5 grand all the way to redline is intoxicating. I have owned the car since purchased new 13 years ago and have been driving it at or near redline ever since with relatively few problems. Oh yes it has 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Glad you did so well. The 164 would still not be most Alfa owners Alfa of choice for autocrossing. In really tight corners, no LSD will hurt. In really hard transitions back and forth, or tight directional chance sections getting the power down with push will be hard. It is still good that you are having fun beating the rest of the field.

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Amedeo,
You were definitely "at full chat" at Umberto's that day, although the course did not lend itself to long wheelbase cars.

I rode in a friend's 95 LS and it was grand!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi John, yes I remember the burgundy LS and it was a lot of fun too bad Umberto is gone and no more autocross. I would not mind doing it again, is there talk for some other site.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Listen you "western NC" guys we need to plan on hooking up when the East Coast of VA group meets the Midway NC group no later than Holiday Party in Manteo again in December. You western NC guys need to join us for our Outer Banks get together this year. Put it on your planning calenders.

Anybody got a deal cut on Umberto's S?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok Steve, lets work on that. No idea if it sold or you may have bought it, maybe John could shed some light.

Amedeo

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Listen you "western NC" guys we need to plan on hooking up when the East Coast of VA group meets the Midway NC group no later than Holiday Party in Manteo again in December. You western NC guys need to join us for our Outer Banks get together this year. Put it on your planning calenders.

Anybody got a deal cut on Umberto's S?
Steve,
I can't contact him, and it is frustrating. His family here does not know where he is; I got a relative's email address in Italy but the message bounced; I left a message at his company here (General Espresso) to have him call me.

The car is sitting in a garage now, with a dead battery and a failed clutch hydralic circuit. :(

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I agree that we westerners need to be more pro-active.
Right now, my mechanical challenges and work on the Concours De Graylyn are sucking-up most of my time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree that we westerners need to be more pro-active.
Right now, my mechanical challenges and work on the Concours De Graylyn are sucking-up most of my time.

John, I just found myself with lots of time on my hand (don't ask) so if I can be of any help for the concours please let me know.

Amedeo

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm working contract right now.
We are always looking for help for the Concours. Right now, we are at a point where it is important to publicize the event. We have a schedule, venues, rally route, and on-line registration in place. With only around 60 days until the event, we are trying to raise as much awareness as we can.
Anything you can do to talk-up the event is precisely what we need.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts