Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
just a month after I fulfilled my dream of moving my 1971 Spider out of Cambridge, MA and up to West Windsor, VT - and the same weekend I put on my Vermont plates - some jerk hit my left front, did significant damage and then took off without stopping (and I thought that sort of thing wouldn't happen here!).

So, I need a good body shop in the area. Suggestions welcome.

Photos attached so you can feel sorry for me.

thank you.
Ryan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Are you a member of AROC/AONE?
George Chris is a member in West Lebanon, NH
And he drives a silver 71 Spider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
The only guy I would suggest is Waynes Autobody, but he's in Georgia Vt. Exit 18

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
155 Posts
I see this was a while ago, @ryanSpider but wanted to say...

1 - That stinks man! I DO feel bad and hope it's all working out. I just got my '86 Veloce and getting in an accident would gut me.
2 - in case you, or someone else following this thread, finds it helpful...

There's a "Registry of Alfa Mechanics thread" -
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/guests-new-members-introductions-please-read/170218-registry-alfa-mechanics.html?nojs=1#goto_threadsearch

And on that is a link to a Google map of mechanics.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=43.54605239978204,-71.33697484765622&spn=54.247508,97.998047&source=embed&mid=1U4Owc_wBJueQxCUH9bQPiOSd12Y&z=8

I know you're looking for auto body, but maybe some of the ones in the Londonderry, Manchester or Burlington have a good rec? (or there's Autobody references in the original thread?)

Good luck!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ryan,

Sorry to hear about this happening to you. The guy who hit you had to know he hit a special car. One would think he'd leave info for you. Bummer!

Do you have regular insurance or classic car insurance? Are you going to make a claim or pay out of pocket? I'm curious, because two of my cars have classic insurance and I'm suppose to use them only to go to car shows - not suppose to be driven for pleasure.

Good luck with the repair.

Greg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Greg,
I have regular car insurance, but this is an interesting question because the guy at the autoshop was saying I might want to get classic car insurance - but it sounds like it might be a bad idea, given what you say. My insurance is through USAA and I have used it twice on my Alfa (other than towing) - both times have been a hassle.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
155 Posts
@ryanSpider - welcome. Wanted to check in and see how you're doing with it. Hope it's all going as well as can be expected.
@autobroker - I have Collectors Auto Insurance from Grundy and it allows me pleasure drives and such, but I can't use it as a daily driver for errands. (Clause attached below).

My agent recommended them because they specialize in vintage cars and understand that sometimes getting a replacement part or repair work isn't solved by going to any old place.

Luckly I haven't had to use it yet (and I hope the promise matches the experience), but I put that out that if it's useful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Collector car policies are defined with your needs. My Hagerty policy covers my usage, estimate of annual mileage and agreed value. I worked with my local agent to set it all up.

I expect that Grundy offers similar coverage.

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lantheaume

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
155 Posts
My agent had Hagerty and Grundy as options - sounded like they provided similar programs - believe he chose Grundy because it was less expensive but honestly didn't ask much about it.

But it was the same as what you stated above "my usage, estimate of annual mileage and agreed value". We defined all of that and the policy was written. My agent said it's helpful because a windshield could cost $3,000 due to the age and requirements of the car and that's the kind of thing that's covered under a classic car policy without (as much of) a hassle.

Very inexpensive too (less than a few hundred bucks a year). I was told that's because classic cars aren't driven the same way as everyday cars. Ex: You're not going to text and drive in a 30 year old car, or drive recklessly, or be as careless. So even though the claims can be more expensive, it's less likely there will be claims in the first place because of the type of driving and the limited uses.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I'm weighing in for two reasons..I have had two carriers and shopped and always got a little goosey when the language of USAGE in the policy was VAGUE and one needed ONE lawyer to figure out what it SAID and ANOTHER lawyer to figure out the intent and what it MEANS. I don't like the verbage of the Grundy example above... It isn't an umbrella over how I decide to drive my car and set out.

Years ago, I was concerned about how cheap and vague my "JC T" policy was and the service at renewal time seemed it was from the 40's..I pictured a back room with dim lighting. I always had the impression they were still using Underwood's and rotary phone and a Rolodex to find my account. So I challenged them on coverage by presenting three scenarios in which I hypothetically was going to use the car and make a claim. The business of using it for car events always blew my mind. How many car events do you have to lie about to make a claim? They FAILED on all the answers. I did the same thing with Hagerty and they were the only people who were straight forward and not weasels about how we use the cars. They have my business. Read your policy and know how you are covered and how they will settle.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
155 Posts
So I challenged them on coverage by presenting three scenarios in which I hypothetically was going to use the car and make a claim.
Do you mind sharing the three scenarios? I'd like to repeat your experiment.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
1. We agreed on the value -100,000 fat-free beans.. with three photos.. all my cars are stated value. I had NO contact with an appraiser or local agent.
2. I was allowed to drive the car ANYTIME I chose with the exception of using it for going to work.. that was easy .. I'm retired and on the dole. If i want to go to a 7-11 or Walmart or get an ice cream..hardware store or the nail salon , I didn't have to make any excuses and fight through the BS on the example on an earlier post to JUSTIFY my usage or the intent of why I drove THIS particular car.
3. I could take it to a shop of my choice for repairs and use parts of my choice not theirs..
4. There were no mileage or distance limitations.
5. Car had to be garaged

So i said i'm going to church on Sunday and wreck.. Covered Church is a regular ride and not work.

Bottom line my previous coverage seemed purposefully vague and open to two sides of interpretation.. mine and theirs... or at best a lot of winking going on. When I have a loss there is no room for winking in my opinion. When I challenged them with my interpretation they flunked and fell flat on their face..I told them I was firing them and they said . Oh well. It was like .. How could I have been so naive for so long feeling. You can always buy cheap but I feel secure now.

·
Premium Member
1986 Spider Veloce
155 Posts
Glad my explanation helped . I think we end up trying to save on premiums and never consider how a loss is covered,
Agreed - I wasn't looking for the lowest premium, it's what my agent said the range was for classic cars of my value.

That being said I'm going to review the full policy (the snippet I attached is the summarized version" for the application) and run a few scenarios by them like you did to ensure it's covered the way I want it to be covered.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Watch out for the mooses .. Here is one Alfa which killed a deer..It is a 100 pointer.... not the deer but the car. Not my car. On the way to a C&C on a Sunday AM... Hagerty covered it in spades. No issues.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts