Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned or worked on an auto. Mike has 4 164s, 2 autos. He wanted to get heat in his car, but the arm is broken off the flappers and I didn't have time to deal with that today, but did both ends of the dog bone mount.

He says it won't do into drive sometimes. He has to put it in reverse, then back into drive and it jump in gear. He chirped the tires when he left here this evening. Does that sound like the governor body issue? This pic shows something disconnected that must be associated with the auto. I don't recognize it.

He really needs to do something with this car. He doesn't want to spend any money on it...hasn't changed the oil in a loooong time, hasn't done the timing belt, tensioner or water pump in his 110,000 mile ownership of the car. The front of the engine is totally oil soaked from cam seal leaks. I really don't know why it's still running!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"He really needs to do something with this car. He doesn't want to spend any money on it...hasn't changed the oil in a loooong time, hasn't done the timing belt, tensioner or water pump in his 110,000 mile ownership of the car. The front of the engine is totally oil soaked from cam seal leaks. I really don't know why it's still running!"

Do not introduce me to him, please, lol. We are on different planets, hell, different solar systems.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He runs used tires. I showed him his RF that has a lot of cracks all around the circumference in the tread. He said he'd stop around and get a used one soon:) The car has 261629 miles. BUT, it does have a very new Gatorback serpentine belt someone in Seattle did for him. I thought maybe that was you, Del:)

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
No, I don't remember throwing up all over this abused 164, hah.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking at the manual, this line doesn't make sense for an automatic or a manual. Next time get this car, I'm going to remove the air filter and big hose and follow some coolant lines. I'm guessing this is a heater hose someone blocked off.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
I've never owned or worked on an auto. Mike has 4 164s, 2 autos. He wanted to get heat in his car, but the arm is broken off the flappers and I didn't have time to deal with that today, but did both ends of the dog bone mount.

He says it won't do into drive sometimes. He has to put it in reverse, then back into drive and it jump in gear. He chirped the tires when he left here this evening. Does that sound like the governor body issue? This pic shows something disconnected that must be associated with the auto. I don't recognize it.

He really needs to do something with this car. He doesn't want to spend any money on it...hasn't changed the oil in a loooong time, hasn't done the timing belt, tensioner or water pump in his 110,000 mile ownership of the car. The front of the engine is totally oil soaked from cam seal leaks. I really don't know why it's still running!

I'll tell you what it looks like to me, somebody has plugged in a 24v engine timing belt tensioner in a heater hose to stop a coolant leak. Prove me wrong!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...The car has 261629 miles...
I can understand the "beater" philosophy. If he were to intervene and try to fix things it would probably upset the delicate balance that exists and set off a cascading deterioration. I once had an old Ford sedan with a 390 that I got for 300 bucks off a little old lady. One day it started making a clattering noise because one of the lifters had gone flat. I "fixed" it by removing the push rod and drove it for another year and a half. The idle was a bit lumpy but other than that you'd never have known.

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I need to talk to him about letting this one rest and driving one of the others.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
My 3 cents worth

I think I need to talk to him about letting this one rest and driving one of the others.
I think you need to talk to him very seriously about his maintenance practices!

It is BS in my book to drive any car especially an ALFA or even a sh**box until it blows up.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"It is BS in my book to drive any car especially an ALFA or even a sh**box until it blows up"

X2

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Steve I was trying like mad to figure out what the heck that photo was, and I think you almost have it -- I don't think its a 24V Tsubaki but some other Tsubaki (the one on my Toyota Tacoma comes to mind)!! Crazy stuff-- if it was me I woulda used a bolt!!!!

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
Steve I was trying like mad to figure out what the heck that photo was, and I think you almost have it -- I don't think its a 24V Tsubaki but some other Tsubaki (the one on my Toyota Tacoma comes to mind)!! Crazy stuff-- if it was me I woulda used a bolt!!!!
Finding a 19mm bolt to fill a 3/4" ID heater hose may have been a real challenge. I sure hope it wasn't a good 24v tensioner.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Arg...there is so very much wrong in this thread!

(I was going to say something like "I've got his next car for sale in the classifieds" but my my little barn-find needs a better home.)

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although I can't disagree with the comments on the present condition of the car, the botched previous attempts at repair, or the owners commitment to upkeep, I'd like to help him. We're not talking about 1 164 here, we're talking about 4. I really feel he would keep them up if he had access to reasonably priced technical help (me).

Can anyone offer an opinion on the transmission issue?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, back to the original issue

A/T's are, in general, a dark art and I cannot claim to know much. But here is what I do know about the ZF transmissions fitted in 164s:

1. Fluid cleanliness is *very* important. My experience has been that basic gear changing go awry if the fluid is substandard. Before attempting any further troubleshooting, change the fluid and clean out the "filter" (the little plastic basket designed to catch big particles.) A single fluid change is not sufficient, really, as only 2/3s of the fluid gets replaced, 2 changes are recommended: change, run the car for a bit (up to operating temp on-road) ensuring all gears are used, change again.

2. Both ends of the shift linkage contain plastic parts and other small bits which may have degrade with age. (Yeah, that's vague, but I'd need to go dig through boxes to remember exactly what they look like.) Inspect and R&R as needed on both ends.

3. The position of the center console can be a factor. Make sure it's forward and secured. A longshot could be that something has gotten into the shifting mechanism beneath the center console.

4. Fluid needs to be...sorry, covered that in #1.

Shocking as it may be, I've never owned a manual-shift 164. One would think that I'd know a lot about the slush boxes but I've had no problems with them (except the first one which died by slippage -- and could have been fixed easily!) With the exception of one Milano I found and resuscitated (and Alfa Bill bought & wrecked), all other Alfas I've had were manual-shift.

I'm hoping others here can add better advice...

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Eric. Good advice. The fluid probably hasn't been changed in a while. Please...don't anyone go to the extent of digging out parts or taking pics. I'm mainly just curious right now. I hope he'll get his new black manual sorted and use it, but I'm interested in what might be the issue with this auto incase he want to fix it.

·
Premium Member
27,011 Posts
To see what is causing his tranny issues, I suggest starting by draining fluid and checking fluid filter located under drain cap. There is a magnet laying in cap that usually jumps out into drain pan when you pull cap off tranny. Inspect it closely for metal particles.

You can clean/wash filter element and reuse if not damaged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts