Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 164LS Auto Trans
Shifter no longer locks in place when car turned off.
No other symptoms - reverse lights come on when asked, brake lights work normally when asked.
Not sure if shifter is free when rolling - nervous to try.
Can this be the starter inhibitor stuck closed??

Have had a self-generated theft deterrant event recently. Have been monkeying with the door locks. Also, the steering wheel was stuck in lock recently and I rolled it to disengage - it still works normally.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
prob not

there is a small pushbutton switch on the pass side of the console -- hidden by a round black plug, just alongside of the mirror fold -in switch on the pass side vertical tunnel. You can;t see if from the drivers seat.

This switch is used to move the auto trans lever when battery is dead. Its probably stuck in the 'pushed in' position.

Personally, I would rather not have the shifter lock up-- in fact, I disabled mine years ago

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
dont really remember

to disable it, but I think I had to remove the center console and physically remove a solenoid from the gear selector-- but it was so long ago that I don;t really recall

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok read your toy list, how have you managed to keep the 100% LCD rating, this must be a record of sorts, I have no experience with it but have been scared off the idea through reported lack of success.
S

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I am the guy

That developed a repair upgrade for the LCD. I have upgraded over 100 units and have more than 900 unit/years in the field with zero reported failures.

Do you want me to upgrade your LCD? $550 includes return shipping to you in USA via USPS priority mail. Do a search on this forum for LCD and you will see my track record.

·
Premium Member
26,912 Posts
There are two locks aren't there on LS? First the normal spring loaded Push button in handle actually is the one that locks the lever in park and allows you to go into 2 or 1 or go past N to R and on to P.. The solenoid one you push through hole in side carpet is the one that prevents you from moving lever out of park unless you push brake pedal to unlock solenoid if brake light switch working correctly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definately interested but 6 months in, I'm lovin it but its got give me some return on investment. When my confidence level matches my enthusiasm I'll be calling. Tires and rims first, indifferent to the sausage cutters.

Send me an email your contact info - I could change my mind by tomorrow
S

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes Steve their is the push button on the shifter handle - works fine, and the push button release, which I have used before but not checked yet. Since it takes less time than typing I'll go take a feel.
S

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to report that a wire bundle had dropped between the release button behind the plug and the console preventing full travel of the solenoid. Deeply satisfying fix.
S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts