Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and as I have just bought myself a nice clean 75 3ltr V6 Potenziata, I thought I'd sign up and say hello :D.
I'm not entirely new to Alfa's but I am new to the injected V6, and after several years of owning (and still owning) several Japanese turbo/supercharged cars, it is both great and occasionally frustrating to own another Alfa.
I do have a few questions for the Alfa community, especially other Australian owners, and hope you guys can help.
1: Does the '90 75 have the L Jetronic ECU or the Motronic ECU (engine does have the crankshaft position sensor behing the crank pulley)?
2: Where are the ECU and ignition module located?
3: Can anyone tell me where I can get a good workshop manual from?
Looking forward to getting some replies, and going thru the many more pages of usefull and creative information on this sight.
Cheers. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi Duk, Welcome.

A Potenziata will have Motronic injection. You are correct in assuming that the crank position sensor indicates that has Motronic.

Hmm, that is all I can help you with at the moment.

One bit of useful info. Aussie Motronic equipped 75s (well at least TS cars) had a connector (under the LHS dash) that set the mode of the ECU to our 92 octane fuel. If you connect up the right wires and run it on the right fuel... voila! You get a bit more mumbo. Can't remember which wires though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hello all, I'm new to this forum, and as I have just bought myself a nice clean 75 3ltr V6 Potenziata, I thought I'd sign up and say hello :D.
I'm not entirely new to Alfa's but I am new to the injected V6, and after several years of owning (and still owning) several Japanese turbo/supercharged cars, it is both great and occasionally frustrating to own another Alfa.
I do have a few questions for the Alfa community, especially other Australian owners, and hope you guys can help.
1: Does the '90 75 have the L Jetronic ECU or the Motronic ECU (engine does have the crankshaft position sensor behing the crank pulley)?
Looking forward to getting some replies, and going thru the many more pages of usefull and creative information on this sight.
get in touch with ebspares in the uk,
i think they have a workshop manual,
www.ebspares.co.uk

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am pretty sure that any 90's onward 3.0 V6 is classified as a potenziata and hence would have motronic fuel injection, don't hold me to that though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers to you guys for your replies and grate info.
Found the ECU and she has Motronic stamped into the case.
Does anyone know if the V6's have the Fuel Quality Plug as mentioned on Craig's Place? I looked but couldn't find and relay type plugs ratteling around but did find a white plug that didn't go anywhere......

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
welcome to the world of transaxle V6. please post photos

no idea about the existence of a fuel quality plug for potenziatas (but have not heard of it before, so suspect not)

·
Registered
561 Posts
The fuel quality plug is what I am talking about. I am not sure, but I would assume that V6's had them also. On TS 75s, they sort of hung down under the left hand side of the dash half behind the glove box and half behind the carpet. From what I remember: no connector meant 98 octane. Of course, these days, which knock sensors, this sort of thing is no longer needed.

I would imagine that the V6 cars would have had the same sort of set up.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please pardon my forum ignorance here, but how do you add photo's? :eek:
I tried to add a photo to my signature but it said "Upload failed".

·
Registered
561 Posts
What a meant was: a connector plug that may or may not have a box on the end: as in no actual internal connections. They looked like a relay, but had wires, if applicable connecting the appropriate terminals.

It was a crude way of achieving what a knock sensor does on a modern car to cope with different octane fuels in different markets.

Confused.... so am I!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Is that a gun metal grey car? congrats.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. It was ebay a couple of weeks ago :D.
Just finished making a new secondary pipe (2" mandrel bend equal lengths) for the exhaust (has a 2.5" system) but I now have an annoying vibration :mad:. May have damaged it coming out of the shed (cars pretty low, and she scraped the 'zorst) because I'm sure I gave it plenty of clearance :confused:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Image posting attemp #1:eek:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She has a few minor bumps and bruise's, but nothing I'm concerned with. I'm not totally sold on the wheels myself. Have been thinking of painting them black. Deffinately want spacers for them, they sit in way to far.
Any suggestions for worthwhile mods for the beast, she's the slowest car I have :p.
The airflow meter is a bad joke (SMALL!!!) and the air filter box looks like it's there for comic relief :p.
Thinking about a full set of polyurathane bush's and maybe antiroll bars (already have koni yellow's and lowered).
Brake wise I'm use to a lighter car with bigger brakes, and I read somewhere that 164 front discs and Volvo 4 piston calipers bolt on. Anyone else done this conversion/seen it/read about it?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
She has a few minor bumps and bruise's, but nothing I'm concerned with. I'm not totally sold on the wheels myself. Have been thinking of painting them black. Deffinately want spacers for them, they sit in way to far.
Any suggestions for worthwhile mods for the beast, she's the slowest car I have :p.
The airflow meter is a bad joke (SMALL!!!) and the air filter box looks like it's there for comic relief :p.
Thinking about a full set of polyurathane bush's and maybe antiroll bars (already have koni yellow's and lowered).
Brake wise I'm use to a lighter car with bigger brakes, and I read somewhere that 164 front discs and Volvo 4 piston calipers bolt on. Anyone else done this conversion/seen it/read about it?
getting wheels for these things is not as easy as *** or aussie cars. I reckon they suit the edgy styling. black would look tough. offset wise, its hard to go too far out as you run into major clearance dramas at the back of the front guards - the 75's are short on space there to start with as they are built on the shorter chassis.

airflow meter is definately a restriction - box is not too bad though. K&N makes an element for it and it does get cold air (unlike your average pod conversion). hard to get a lot more power (excl turbo) - best to focus on refining what's there and making it handle.

new bushes are an excellent idea. caster rod and lower inner wishbones are the ususal suspects. makes a huge difference. a stiffer set of rear springs and bigger front bar is also ususally a good start handling wise. I also have koni yellows and they good road shocks.

164 and volvo has been done - is a marginal fit inside 15 inch wheels (not a prob for you). better pads in standard stuff is also a good start (can recom Ferodo racing, bit dodge when cold but). I'd like a set of 6 spot brembos personally...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Always good to get underneath and behind the wheels of your new toy.
Do you think this would make any noticable difference? :p

*please note sarcasm :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts