Alfa Romeo Forums banner

561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Derek, yes I know what you mean about the naivety of completing projects. That has happened to me with my "blue" Giulia as I have just let it go last weekend. The truth dawned on me I simply was not going to get it completed. I have documented this on the thread I started re its restoration.

At least I finished the restoration of the country property, put it up for sale and sold it within a week for a reasonable price. I got that one right, though I can't say I made any money on it, but that seems to be the way for me this year with various projects and other things.

I will instead see if I can finally crack on in the New Year and get going with the red Ti. At least it is still a Giulia.

My brother in law sold his Super to someone in Melbourne who in turn is doing his utmost to flip it for a rather large price.

All the best for the New Year with both your own home and other projects.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
My brother in law sold his Super to someone in Melbourne who in turn is doing his utmost to flip it for a rather large price.
Dave, if that's the same B-I-L who bought my old Super cheaply on the promise that he'd treasure it forever, only to flip it quickly for a big price hike, I'd say it's a case of 'What goes around, comes around!' Sorry to hear about giving up on the blue Super, but life does rather get in the way.
Have a great 2016.
Geoff

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Geoff, ah yes same said BIL !! At least he kept the beige Super (see pics) for quite a number of years and did spend a few $$ on it. I don't know how much he sold it for but I did hear that the person he sold it to, was asking over $25K for it, which given its condition was somewhat ambitious, if you know what I mean.

Ah its ok Geoff, I am being totally philosophical about the blue car. Life sure does have a way of changing one's priorities. At least I have the red Ti, which although a bit of a bitsa (has quite a bit of Super trim/engine etc), see pics, and is in reasonable condition and all going well hopefully I can get this one on the road next year. Hope you still have the Giulietta Sprint and are going well up Byron way. All the best for Christmas and 2016.

Apologies Derek for the quick thread hijack.

Cheers Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Hi Jim, yes. I had tried the BB, AROCA and Gumtree sites but to no avail. Hence accepted the offer I received, as I had to move it pronto.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #566
No worries on the thread deviations. I get curious as well to hear what the going rate of Supers are in various conditions. Hard to know what to insure mine for.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Ok, great re that Derek. Ahm that is a very good question indeed. If you are with Shannons, I would suggest you discuss it with them but my opinion is based on how good it looks, knowing what you have done to it (based on your thread) and what the market for really well restored Giulia's is like I would have thought surely somewhere north of the $20K level. Could be up as much as $30k, and definitely no lower than $18K.

My red Ti, from memory is currently insured for around $8k but it is no where as good as yours and is for limited use only. Once I get mine back on the road and registered with the leather seats installed, re-carpeted, dash re-done etc, I will be raising it to around the $12K level and with further tidying up of the bodywork down the track I would be wanting to insure it for over $15K.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #568
yes, we haven't seen the prices over here like they get in the US and Europe. Europe love the first series Super like mine since they got a heck of a lot more 1300's due to the engine size tax or something like that. 30k AUD would be the top of the market over here at the moment for an excellent car I think. Mine may well be there after I get the full interior retrimmed who knows? I am happy with the engine bay and rest of the car now.

Shannons struggled to value my car due to few examples going to market similar to mine. I know a Sydney friend sold two in the mid twenties last year so thats where I think I sit with value hopefully. This thread will hopefully show that I tried to do the car justice by getting it back to near original spec. I am sure it owes me more but I will never go back through my receipts to check!

I just hope I have many incident free years of fun motoring in it.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I too am interested in values for insurance as they do use Australian prices as well as local in difficult cases such as an early Alfa sedan. I think there is and always has been a fixation with coupes in Australasia and because the sedans were very highly priced when new and probably not as appealing as an Alfa coupe when new there would have been less demand anyway. I`m old enough and been with Alfas long enough to remember many a Berlina and Giulia (much rarer anyway) dismantled to provide parts for a coupe but values in this part of the world will never match GT/GTV prices. $30k is about tops I think at the moment for a superb Giulia Ti, or Super.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #572 (Edited)
Here you go Geoff. I cropped the red blob out so that you don't doze off again. Its down at Automotion for a tune and tighten up. Cameron will take good care of her for me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Thanks Derek. I feel better already. I find there's little to distinguish the design of Ferraris, Astons, Jags, Lambos etc today - looks like everything (except Porrrsches) comes from the same pen. The Giulia Super though is clean and delicate but simultaneously brutal. Truly distinctive. (Although I did see a restored Beemer 2002 today and thought Yeah, they got that right too.)

Geoff

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
The real problem with modern cars is that they are far too wide in my eyes. I guess to accomodate all the fatties of the "developed world".

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looking good Derek.... Reminds me of my first car... A '66 Super also in white!

But have we progressed very far? I would love to know what Cd figure that convertible Ferrari has...

Bet the Super would win...

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
I 'think' thats a 360 Spider? If so I looked it up and it just pips the Super for drag coefficient with .335 and the Super is .34.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice Derek...... .05 difference in 50 years!

Wheels Magazine Yearbook back in about '87 had a listing of the cd figures for a number of classics and new cars of the day.

Had the Guilia as .34 and I have been telling my mates for years about that and they just don't believe it.

Allow that convertibles on the whole have poor aerodynamics (especially with the top down) I reckon its not a bad feat ... just .05 !

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
Nice Derek...... .05 difference in 50 years!

Wheels Magazine Yearbook back in about '87 had a listing of the cd figures for a number of classics and new cars of the day.

Had the Guilia as .34 and I have been telling my mates for years about that and they just don't believe it.

Allow that convertibles on the whole have poor aerodynamics (especially with the top down) I reckon its not a bad feat ... just .05 !

Cheers.
Oooohhh! I just re-checked again and that .335 is for the hardtop and the convertible is 0.36. GIULIA WINS!!:grin2:

Ferrari 360 Modena

360 Spider "The only trade-off is 60 kg extra weight and raising drag coefficient from 0.33 to 0.36."

but then has the more accurate measurement for the stradale a bit later when talking about the Challenge Stradale : "that is achieved without altering the 0.335 drag coefficient"

561 - 580 of 613 Posts