Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a lot of time on the road, and I make the time pass by listening to audio books - books on CD. I've acquired quite a large number of audio books, so I still want to be able to listen to them when driving my '17 Giulia. Have other Giulia owners solved this challenge? If so, I'd enjoy hearing from you, including your comments on these potential solutions I have found:

1. Downloads to my phone from the library. This doesn't solve my issue of listening to audio books I already have, and I'm afraid that it might not be possible to restart the book at the point where it was stopped - like when I stop for gas and relief on a long drive.
  2. At a car audio store, they suggested I put the books on a thumb drive. That sounded good until I realized that all of the books have multiple CDs. Each CD would have to be saved to my computer than uploaded to the thumb drive. I wonder if I will have the same problem as on my phone when I stop and restart the book.
  3. There are CD players that have bluetooth capability and that can be played using the USB port. This sounds like the best solution, since many CD players will start at the point where the play was stopped.
Thoughts, comments, or solutions, please!

Thanks!

Mike Hemsley
[email protected]

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does you Giulia not have a CD player? (Has the modern car world now come to this?) If not, adding a CD player would be the best option IMO.

Alternatives are to use a phone or MP3 player connected to your auto-entertainment system via audio cable (shock!) or Bluetooth.

I upgraded an original Infinity head unit to a Kenwood in my 2004 non-Alfa daily driver in order to get an aux input and Bluetooth. Purchased it from Crutchfield, who provided both installation instructions and a wiring adaptor. My experience with Crutchfield was fine. You can get a consult from them online. Did the installation in my driveway.

Should you choose to not go the CD route: File conversion from CD (Wav) files to MP3 can be done by VLC. Its UI is a little wonky, but it works and it is available for both OS X and Windows.

FWIW I regularly listen to podcasts in MP3 format on an older Sansa MP3 player. (I don't always want to carry a phone.) Advantage: it's tiny! Disadvantage: it relies on the MP3ID field for file organization and to be blunt -- it sucks. So, I avoid its podcast UI by going directly to Music -> File Folders -> Podcasts.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Forgot to add: the Kenwood unit has a USB port, but I've never used it. I should give it a try and determine whether it remembers where play was stopped.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Giulia does not have a CD player, and it looks as though most new cars don't - a friend is buying a Camry, and it has no CD player. I talked to the owner of a car stereo business, and the answer was that hooking a player into the Alfa's system would be difficult and expensive.

After spending time on line, I will be receiving a CD player today that has both bluetooth and USB potential. It also has antiskip, so that's helpful in a car. This seems to be the best option for me - I'm a bit of a luddite, so the idea of having to deal with "wonky" file conversions is intimidating.

I'll let ya'll know if the CD player works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts