Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just saw these sales...

1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider sold for $64,000.

Alfa Romeo Montreal sold for $46,000

I don't think these prices include the 10% auction fee

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
It was bottom feeder day at Bonhams on Thursday. Only a very few cars made their estimated minimum. Bargains galore.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
46k for a monte less than a 1750 boat tail? Goodings usually have nice cars too. I think I’d trade my 1750 for a monte!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Gooding premium is 12% up to $250K, 10% for every dollar over that. The Montreal was nice, I think it has fewer followers than a spider. Spiders are more well known so probably more popular.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Alfa Romeo cars have different levels of difficulty when it comes to restoration depending on the model and starting point. The Spider was restored and won first in class in 2019, while the Montreal was a stalled project with an exterior colour change (not clear if back to original) and it's last undocumented engine build was over 30 years ago so a fair price maybe?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I'd say someone got a real steal of a deal there! The previous 3 Gooding auctions (2016,2014 & 2013) ....the lowest price for a Monti was $99,000. This one looked pretty nice to me...

·
Registered
831 Posts
For the cars being restored/rebuilt they will/have used up all the NOS and best used parts in the process.
So the other cars which are stalled projects or just part of a static collection (that don't come with a collection of parts) that are recommissioned back to life are forced to present say with a serviced gearbox and engine(if they are lucky) rather than a recently rebuilt gearbox and engine etc. like this Montreal.
The key thing is for the Montreal some specific parts are just too expensive due to their limited numbers or just not available in the time frame preferred. So the reality is some Montreals will never be restored. Not that that's a bad thing, you can always put a Chev Gen 3/4 motor in it out of the latest Corvette. Reminiscent of the 80's when every one was putting Chev engines to replace worn out Jag engines. Bizzarrini built his 1965 5300 GT Strada cars with 350 Chev engines which have some styling features of the 1967 Montreal.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
That Monty was rather nice for the money. No AC might have played a part for wealthy US buyers, and that Radio blank plate is awful as is the air cleaner box...but for the money (46000 euros ca.) a nice deal
The front eyelids are very well aligned too, which is not always the case.

Bizzarrini built his 1965 5300 GT Strada cars with 350 Chev engines which have some styling features of the 1967 Montreal.
one little difference being the Bizz is between 500,000 and 1,000,000 $
:)

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Getting a "steal" in this market is relative to what you would have paid 18-24 months ago. It is not a measure of current market value.... nor is paying over $300,000 for a 240 Z (See BaT) a yardstick for those cars. Speculating on which way the market goes is a very risky business these days..Restored '40 Fords are now way less than what a donor shell for a hot rod was not so long ago. The rarity game has lost traction.. SS's, Boat-tails, Montreals, Sprints, Giulietta Spiders??? pick your color.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I wish I was a little bit younger... I think the "steals" are out there based on bang for the buck especially under 15 grand. I had a list of stuff under 10 for awhile and there are still plenty of those too. The fun part is the rides are affordable and just as collectible and publicly appreciated. I've trimmed all my primped high value cars for practical fun.. like my '73 Spider for 8 grand.. If it crashes physically or monetarily it's just 8 grand not 80 or 180 . and just as fun. It's like losing a daughter at the altar. You still have the memories but she's someone else's problem. Sorry, I got on a roll.

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
Does your daughter read your posts in the BB?

When I get some free time, I’ll draft my observations on my experience with Bonhams.

It’s similar to flying. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
No ..both my 'daughters" +1 were black labs Dacha, Divot, and Tralee they are now only in our memories.... Your observation on flying is noted and accurate since I flew in the USAF as you know.... A friend wanted to take me on a trip from COLS to Cincinnati Lunkin for lunch ... He didn't even do a walk around.. we were late for departure.. another one was people flying backwards in the pattern at an uncontrolled field... That ended my civil aviation career and I wasn't even flying..

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
I rarely fly when someone else is the pilot. For the reasons you note.

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
Agree. Age and error have reduced the population of pilots I’ll happily sit next to. There’s only been one I’d fly close formation acro with, but he’s batcrap crazy.

There’s a few that don’t mind coming along with me as map-monkey. Sacramento-Old Rhinebeck in a 1946 Stampe SV4 is a grin-making memory. About a 150 mile range with not much reserve.

But we digress from this other character flaw called Alfa Romeo.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
That ended my civil aviation career and I wasn't even flying.
You stopped flying because of someone elses foolishness? I don't get that. Could you explain?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts