Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some title work today, and got word that as of Sept. 1st there will be NO MORE Y.O.M. Plates issued (year of manufacture) It's screwing up the TX Tag folks. If you have them now, your ok, but they will not be issued after that date.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I did some title work today, and got word that as of Sept. 1st there will be NO MORE Y.O.M. Plates issued (year of manufacture) It's screwing up the TX Tag folks. If you have them now, your ok, but they will not be issued after that date.
Just great ....

I wonder if having them all expire simultaneously has anything to do with them "screwing up the TX Tag folks."

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Expiring Simultaneously" ?? That doesn't happen totally. YOM plates are used two ways, one is, like on my Porsche, I have them as "classic" tags. Classic is, Two plates, inspection once a year, same as normal, no limited miles. The other is "Antique", They are a 5 yr tag, yes they all come due at the same time. One plate on the rear, with a small "ID" tag attaches to a mounting screw. No inspection, limited miles a year.
See, the YOM plates have a 6 digit number, and that number had been duplicated over years of tags made.(You'll notice that TX is now using a 7 digit tags now.) So someplace out there is a tag with the same number. That's screwing up TX Tag, and that's money for the state, and well you know how that goes. So now you know the rest of the story... LOL

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The other is "Antique", They are a 5 yr tag, yes they all come due at the same time. One plate on the rear, with a small "ID" tag attaches to a mounting screw.

That's odd. The tax office here gave me the Antique license plate but not the ID tag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, what part did you miss??? Antique tags, from the state have a 4 digit number, and an expiration sticker on them, right. That is your number, But if you use a YOM plate (year of car) then... you get the small tag with your 4 digit number and expiration date. Sorry if I'm grumpy, but I'm getting lot of folks asking this stuff over and over. As a hobby, I read the vehicular codes of TX. I know I don't have a life... lol

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You said:
The other is "Antique", They are a 5 yr tag, yes they all come due at the same time. One plate on the rear, with a small "ID" tag attaches to a mounting screw. No inspection, limited miles a year.
Then you said:
As a hobby, I read the vehicular codes of TX. I know I don't have a life... lol
This pretty much says it all, doesn't it? :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is why I have to many cars! LOL Now remember, you can only sell 5 cars a year before they smack you with a notice that you need to have a dealers License. (Been there, done that, that's how I got that stupid hobby.. LOL) But you can buy all ya want, no problems..

·
Registered
325 Posts
We had a club member go down to DMV this week. He was told...

"After Sept 1, 2011:
Classic registration will no longer be issued with YOM plates. Previous registration will be grandfathered in.

Antique registration will continue to issue with YOM plates as they have been (no changes)."

Hopefully that is the case. DMV clerks sometimes get confused, so I'd be interested to hear if others are getting the same information.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'm looking for 1984 YOM Vanity Plates for my GTV-6. It seems most of the on-line sources have already closed up shop. If anyone has some leads, please let me know. I only have 6 days to beat the deadline. Thanks.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There's a guy down in San Antonio...
Jesse Perez at 210-532-7456
Yes, he has every plate you could ever wish for.
Literally thousands of license plates in a garage out back.

In the meantime, I would purchase a period registration sticker from here:
For Sale - www.TexasYOM.com
Then you could take your pick of 80's era plates and put the 84 sticker on it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There's a guy down in San Antonio...
Yes, he has every plate you could ever wish for.
Literally thousands of license plates in a garage out back.
I'll dig his card out for you.

In the meantime, I would purchase a period registration sticker from here:
For Sale - www.TexasYOM.com
Then you could take your pick of 80's era plates and put the 84 sticker on it.
I'll be in San Antonio this afternoon John, if you happen to have that into, I'd appreciate it.

Any for the 1980's you can use a blank plate with an '84 sticker on it under the YOM program? I can find those, put I didn't know the sticker worked for YOM. I've bought vanity plates with the year number stamped on them for my '82.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm not an expert on 80's era plates, but many look the same to me and have a place in the top right corner for the yearly sticker.
Also, I found the name of another "plate dealer": Larry Dunnahoe, Ingleside, Texas. Phone: 361-776-2249
It would be interesting to see if you could get a plate that ended in the model designation (i.e. 116).

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any for the 1980's you can use a blank plate with an '84 sticker on it under the YOM program? I can find those, put I didn't know the sticker worked for YOM. I've bought vanity plates with the year number stamped on them for my '82.
FWIW, the 1976 plates on my Super are of the base plate + sticker variety. The base plate is embossed for 1975.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
We had a club member go down to DMV this week. He was told...

"After Sept 1, 2011:
Classic registration will no longer be issued with YOM plates. Previous registration will be grandfathered in.

Antique registration will continue to issue with YOM plates as they have been (no changes)."

Hopefully that is the case. DMV clerks sometimes get confused, so I'd be interested to hear if others are getting the same information.
John, I've spoken with the DMV, Travis County, and Jesse Perez the "license plate guy" from San Antonio this week. And all three said the antique plate YOM program is not ending.

Antique Plates (from DMV website):

Antique license plates are issued for cars, trucks or motorcycles that are at least 25 years old and are a collector’s item. The vehicle must be used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades or other functions of public interest. Vehicles displaying Antique plates may not be used for regular transportation or carry advertising. The vehicle may be driven to and from a location for routine maintenance.

Antique plates are issued for five-year periods. The registration fee for the five-year period is $50.30 ($10 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1921 and subsequent years and $40.30 ($8 per year, plus an additional 30 cents for the registration insignia) for vehicles manufactured in 1920 and prior years. Fees are reduced $10/$8 for each year of the period that has elapsed at the time the application is filed.

Classic Plates (from DMV website):

Classic license plates are issued to cars that are 25 or more years old. Unlike antiques, which cannot be used for regular transportation or carry advertising, classic license plates require a vehicle to be fully registered like any other vehicle, allowing it to be operated on any roadway. A specialty plate fee of $15 is charged in addition to the regular registration fee and other applicable fees.

I've never registered my vehicles as classics, because you have to renew annually and you have to pass inspections also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts