Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to replace a missing timing pointer on my 79 Spider. I have the Pointer, but need to know what size bolts it takes to attach it. Looking at where it goes on the water pump, I am thinking I need to take out the radiator to get access to install it, unless I can get to it from under the car ? Any suggestions would be appreciated, before I start tearing into this. I want to complete this in the most efficient way. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
You use the bolts that are already on the water pump. They hold the block off plate or the tach drive in if your car has a cable driven tach.

You will need to remove the radiator to get to them.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
If you want it to be accurate you will need to get the engine to TDC and establish when #1 is truly at the top of its stroke with a dial gauge, then set the pointer to the "P" mark.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I didn't bother with all this effort to instal a pointer - Follow SkiBum , clean-up the water pump housing with a piece of fine grade sandpaper and paint a thin white line with a fine brush at the "P" mark.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies. I am not certain about the pointer, but I assume if the bolts to attach it were there, the pointer would be too. Thinking the bolts are missing, but it seems what Jim has said, they will be there. I would have also assumed that the two bolts securing the pointer, would essentially align the pointer correctly, or at least +/- the tolerance itself ? No ?

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
Surely no accurate enough. What so you use the pointer for? For timing, checking valve lash, etc. All these things require precision. A couple degrees can make all the difference. If you are gonna install a pointer make sure it is accurate!

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I am not certain about the pointer, but I assume if the bolts to attach it were there, the pointer would be too.
best make sure of something before you rip out the radiator;)

if your MY79 has a mechanical tach (79 was changeover year, so some 79s had mechanical and some electronic)
then the pointer would simply bolt to tach drive on waterpump....
timing pointer.jpg

could also be this type of 'adjustable' pointer...same thing though, attaches to tach drive
Timing indicator.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
And if its an electric tach it bolts in the same place as there is a block off cover in place of the tach drive.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. That is the exact pointer I have to attach. Seems I'm wrong to assume that the 2 bolts would set the postion of the pointer. And if there is that much potenital variance in its location, than it may not be worth it. The car is running fine, however, I had plans to install a PerTronix and ditch the points. Thus the need to re-time.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Set the engine at TDC and you can move / bend the pointer to line up with the mark on the crank.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
But, Do you really need to remove the radiator to fit that? It looks so accessible (from here at least?)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Since you can replace the tach cable from underneath, you might be able to wangle a socket in there, but it will be tight. Undoing the sway bar mounts and swinging it down could give more room.

·
Premium Member
4,549 Posts
Probably have to take the alternator off to. If you don't take out the radiator

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
926 Posts
If you just want the pointer for ignition timing there is really no need. You will fine tune the timing by twisting the dizzy. You can get close just by looking with a timing light. Setting valve lash or cam timing is a different story, then you would need to know where TDC is exactly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats exactly what I am doing. I want to ditch the points for a Pertronix Ignitor, and then re-time the dizzy as necessary. I am hoping that the change over really does not impact the timing much if any. However, I wanted to be prepared for any outcome. I don't plan on pulling the distributor out at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts