Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm trying to dismantle an ATE brake master cylinder and getting no where. I've dismantled the "No-Name" master cylinders before and never had a problem, but the ATE ones won't budge.

I've being able to remove the snap ring, the metal washer under the snap ring, and the first big seal. The next piece is some kind of white plastic washer. That where I'm stuck.

I've also removed the small bolt on the top of the master cylinder between the reservoir ports.

After getting the above pieces off, I put the master cylinder in the vise and pulled on the push-rod sleeve, nothing. I've tried blowing compressed air through the ports, nothing.

Is there some other stop, or snap ring I've missed?

The first MC I tried to dismantle had being on a car about a month ago. The second one came out of my core pile, where it had lying for years (??). On both master cylinder's I was able to get to the white plastic washer and no further.On both of them you can push the push-rod sleeve, the same distance with the same effort.

Any ideas out there?

I noticed (in a online picture) that the ATE rebuild kit includes a white plastic washer. Does that mean I'm supposed to break the plastic washer to get the master cylinder out?.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just took one apart a couple of weeks ago. What you describe is typical. I had a very hard time getting the first seal and the white washer out. Unfortunately you can't push the white washer inward to free it up. I let some PB Blaster soak on it for a day, and then I hit the MC with some compressed air to force the washer outward. Once the white washer is out everything else will just fall out.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ATE, disassembly, Master cylinder

Hi Tomhenneka

Thanks for the response. I found a thinwall SK socket that just fit inside the push rod tube. Using that to support the pushrod tube, I grabbed the tube with a pliers and was able to pull out the assembly.

However after that "..everything else..." DID NOT "... just fall out..." I will try your PB blaster suggestion.

Thanks Again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts