Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I attempted to remove the cap from the dual circuit brake fluid reservoir on my '79 Spider Veloce and one of the caps broke. I cannot for the life of me find replacements available in the US, replacements for the reservoir run about $160, and replacement caps are available in the UK but run 30 GBP for shipping.

Today is my attempt to superglue it so it doesn't have to be duct taped down. It's currently weighed down and drying.

I have a friend who thought 3D printing a replacement could be a feasible alternative, assuming filament compatible with brake fluid can be sourced. He's willing to scan and create a replacement if I ship him the part. Before it comes to that I was wondering if there was a more available, compatible replacement for the cap/fluid level sensor. I see lots of BMW compatible parts that look like a sensor and cap combined but it would not only have to be the same diameter and threading but also have a compatible range for the float unit. I also see Mercedes caps that look different but would potentially be compatible. Does anyone have experience with this? I scoured the forums for answers and came up with very little other than contemporary Fiats, Maseratis, Mercedes, and potentially other cars use similar ATE fluid reservoirs with caps that look just like the one above.

BMW cap with sensor integrated:

Mercedes cap with different top design:

If it's something that can be replaced with a different unit I'd rather go that route as I'm not maintaining originality with this car. If it's something that breaks all the time and isn't available by itself, a 3D printed replacement would be valuable, I think.

·
--ADMINISTRATOR--chiuso per ferie
13,364 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 Spider
497 Posts
I had a broken cap and ended up getting a complete MC from APE. Cant remember the price but is wasn't much and I ended up with a few spare parts!

·
Registered
1979 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No luck browsing the ATE catalog but it looks like the diameter is 41mm by about 12-14mm tall.

The glue does seem to be holding but time will tell.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts