Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a weird one. I am looking at a Giulietta Sprint that's 7/8ths of an inch longer on the passenger side than the driver side, measured from the front vertical door opening to the headlamp mounting boss on the front fenders. As far as I can tell, all of this length difference is between the front edge of the door openings and the rear edge of the front wheel openings. As a result, the driver's tire/wheel sits almost an inch too far forward in the wheel opening, almost touching the front edge of the wheel opening in the fender. I'm told this car had front end damage and another front clip was welded on. Yet, the hood fits perfectly centered in the front clip with even gaps all around. And it also looks like the car tracks straight.

So what gives? Is it possible Bertone was building bodies in the late 50s and early 60s with lots of variation, or did the body repair guy just get it hopelessly wrong?

The car is worth sorting out, but how?

Help!
Ron Sessions
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
12,586 Posts
Lots of cars like this. No cheap fix though. The LF fender off, arch centered on the wheel to match the other side. The whole nose will have to be moved, and a strip added to the back edge of the front fender. Someone did a fast repair in the past, by-guess-and-by-gosh. You need a first class body builder for this one. If you are serious about fixing this car, contact Skip McCabe at McCabe Automotive Restoration. This sort of work on Ferrari's, Alfa's and other classics is all they do. Tell Skip, or his secretary Irene, I sent you.
Call 847-949-8340.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Here's a weird one. I am looking at a Giulietta Sprint that's 7/8ths of an inch longer on the passenger side than the driver side, measured from the front vertical door opening to the headlamp mounting boss on the front fenders. As far as I can tell, all of this length difference is between the front edge of the door openings and the rear edge of the front wheel openings. As a result, the driver's tire/wheel sits almost an inch too far forward in the wheel opening, almost touching the front edge of the wheel opening in the fender. I'm told this car had front end damage and another front clip was welded on. Yet, the hood fits perfectly centered in the front clip with even gaps all around. And it also looks like the car tracks straight.

So what gives? Is it possible Bertone was building bodies in the late 50s and early 60s with lots of variation, or did the body repair guy just get it hopelessly wrong?

The car is worth sorting out, but how?

Help!
Ron Sessions
[email protected]
Since you are in Detroit, Dean Russell can explain it to you in person but he is busy. The short version is this: Bertone was notorious for making pieces that are not interchangeable. The Sprint and the SS are perfect examples, especially the early cars and ALL the SS's . I had a Giulia SS with spare lids and a door and those parts might as well have been for a Borgward because they weren't even close and could not be hung on my car. It's not unusaul to have doors that are 1 1/2" variations without any outward sign they are different. This is true for doors and both lids. It also explains why they used a knife edged pinch weld around the perimeter between the panel frame and the skin to allow them to grind off material to make panels fit perfectly.

This was a time when the cars were "fitted" by hand and altered to make do. I suspect the guy on the line used trial and error to fit the doors and lids and once he found the right one, he would install it and the finish guy would crop it to perfection. It was before robots and lasers. I can assure you, any frontal damage had nothing to do with the dimensional variations of your car.

Beware, anyone who buys these panels in hopes of swapping them out had better get the dimensions before forking over the money. It's not so much true with the PF's however.

PF doesn't have these issues as much as Bertone. Their doors and lids allow for movement in the way they are attached to the shell, albeit much smaller than inches.

What size tires are on this beauty? The proper 155's can make everything livable and look right without any massaging of the body.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Ronzoi,
Also note ALL sprint bodys before 1493* 06611 have dramatically different bodies than any bodys after that number: a quick ckeck is to see other ways in which the fenders differ: do the wheel arch edges differ? If so then they are on different sides of this VIN., etc. There are other subgroups of differences as well.
Laurence

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Without stating the obvious should you not conduct a drop test to establish that the chassis is level and square and that the suspension has not been damaged. If it is square and level the wheel arch can be cut out as an element and moved bodily to suit. Re welded back in place with a strip of metal removed from one side and replaced to infill on the other. In this way the line of the wings, the fit of the bonnet and the line of the front of the car remain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts