Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start assembling the doors on my 1750 GTV. Is it easier to fit the doors and thereafter fit the slides, winders, glass, latch etc. or is it easier to fit everything on the bench and then fit the door?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
i think its easier to do on the bench personally. The added weight of the glass is minimal and if you want to leave the main glass out thats pretty easy to put in after the door is mounted.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
If you install everything on the bench, you might want to build a support frame/dolly that will hold the door at the correct height so that once stuffed, it can be rolled right up the car for mating. I recall seeing one such wooden support built by an AlfaBBer and it looked like a neat solution to ease assembly. Is the car newly painted?

·
Super Moderator
12,202 Posts
Is the car newly painted?
Yea, that was my question. When I had the bodywork done to my Sprint GT, the shop painted, mounted and aligned the door. I had no desire to remove it, lose the alignment and lay its freshly painted surface on my bench just so I could reassemble it standing up rather than sitting down.

On the other hand, if the paint is patina'd and/or the door is already off, what the heck, do it on the bench and save your back.

Reactions: gmack

·
Administrator
15,258 Posts
I don't think you could do it on the bench. The door would move around like a toddler needing to go for a wee. I like 1750GT's suggestion to make something to hold the door vertically and rigidly

Pete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you install everything on the bench, you might want to build a support frame/dolly that will hold the door at the correct height so that once stuffed, it can be rolled right up the car for mating. I recall seeing one such wooden support built by an AlfaBBer and it looked like a neat solution to ease assembly. Is the car newly painted?
Painted about 3 months ago

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did mine on the car, but I don't have a suitable workshop/bench to do it off the car. I would image that doing it off the car would mean moving the door around, which could lead to damage

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Personally I would do it on the car. If it's a freshly painted door the sooner it's on the car the better, to avoid inevitable bumps and scrapes. And if you need to adjust the alignment it'll be easier to wrangle a lighter door. Assembly is not so complicated, and while a few nuts and bolts are fiddly to reach etc, with patience you'll get it done.

Reactions: PSk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts