Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a time when Alfa's were assembled in Mexico.
Can anybody supply some details about this?

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, 750 Spider, 101 Sprint, 101 Spider, 101 Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,519 Posts
Assembled by Willy's Mexicana

By sheer coincidence the owner of this Ti is back on the BB and I'll ask him to fill us all in on the details & give us better pictures

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Greig,
I wish I could tell you more but dont know what years or models were asembled by Willys at léast the first generation berlina was , maybe similar to the Alpine by Dina ( Dinalpine ) , my car at the mídale of bodywork process , in white primer

Regards

Daniel
Grey Font Concrete Handwriting Rectangle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Rectangle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant

Reactions: PSk

·
Administrator
750 Sprints, 750 Spider, 101 Sprint, 101 Spider, 101 Ti, 105 Sprint GT, 105 Juniors, others
4,519 Posts
Thanks Daniel, your Ti is looking very nice, better then the previous paint job

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
7 Posts
That Ti is a handsome automobile. It stirred interest to know what 'Assembled in Mexico' entailed. In 1962 Mexico issued the 'Automotive Decree' banning imports and setting a 60% value added requirement on production as well as 40% limitation on plant ownership. Fiat, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Peugeot all left the country while the US big three, Volkswagen, Renault and American Motors remained. Did Alfa also stop operations. Previous to the '62 decree, did Alfa target Mexican consumers with a family sedan such as the Ti where some of its components/assembly where carried out in Mexican Plants? Are there examples of Mexican Alfas produced after 1962 ? Were there other countries where Alfas were 'assembled' ? I am mostly interested in the '50s '60s '70s era. (Source above: The Mexican Automotive Industry's Long History).

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Off topic a bit but I have a 1968 Ford Country Sedan (wagon) built in Mexico. Most of it appears to have been stamped out etc in Detroit and shipped down, but brakes, engine, exhaust, etc. were all made in Mexico.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daniel
I noticed the Serial number plate is stamped a bit differently than others - the "AR - " added. Have you been able to determine if the plate was stamped in Italy as part of the "knock-down parts" sent to Mexico or was it stamped in Mexico?

Also, what is stamped after the "750"?

Font Gas Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a little research on Willys Mexicana S.A.

Willys Mexicana S.A. was set up in 1946 as a Mexico City dealer for Willys-Overland Jeeps, and by 1950 they were assembling Universal Jeeps, station wagons and pickups in a small facility. Parent company SOMEX (Sociedad Mexicana de Credito Industrial) anticipated a good market in Mexico for the forthcoming Aero-Willys passenger car, and in 1953 opened a large, modern assembly plant for Willys cars and Jeeps near Mexico City.

In the early 1960s Willys Mexicana was building about 2000 Jeeps and 1000 Ramblers per year, as well as some 2000 other vehicles including Peugeots and Datsun.

SOMEX was nationalized in 1963, and formed a new joint arrangement with American Motors Corporation and Kaiser Corporation to form Vehiculos Automotores Mexicanos (VAM).

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
For me the plates are stamped in mexico.
I can't see any interest at the era to stamped something in Italy and sent them to Mexico.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was a time when Alfa's were assembled in Mexico.
Can anybody supply some details about this?
Just spotted this thread. I also have a Mexican assembled Sprint built in 1958 and now here in the UK. I have attached a photo of the Willys build plate.
Fixture Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Material property Paint

You may find an old thread from about seven years ago of interest
"Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, AR-1493-07392, Restoration". The owner of the car Victor was very helpful in giving me some background to the assembly of Alfa Romeos in Mexico.
My car AR-1493-07397 is just five cars following Victor's, also finished on 30 October 1958 and sold by Autosport Distribuidora SA on 13 November 1958. The car was shipped from Veracruz to Rotterdam early in 2010. I bought the car at the end of 2012 in Holland and brought it home to England on a trailer.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

Noel

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks ........... looking at photos of 1493-07392 in the link, I do not see a "Mexico" plate on the firewall. Unfortunately, it does not look like he kept posting after the original set of pictures.

Could you share the background he provided on assembly in Mexico?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is a photo on the first page of the thread but the Willys plate is very dark. The whole thread amounted to 12 pages well beyond the original photographs you mention?
With regard to the background information on car assembly in Mexico he posted the following reply to me (on the thread)
"
Noel:

Good you contacted me, and curiously I am also looking at engine compartments. I just came from the shop from taking pics at my engine compartment to do some hole patching and prepare everything for paint. We removed the engine last week and we will be removing suspensión this week. By the way, here is a link to great info on holes in the site:

holes holes holes...

Mine used to be Henry's car, but I don't remember reading his thread on mexican production cars. I will look for that. I haven't found any more details about the Alfas assembled here, but I am very glad yours and mine are the same batch... we can surely compare details!

For car history fans: there was a law in Mexico, back in the 50's and early 60's, which said that the cars sold here needed to be assembled here... but assembly didn't mean they were manufactured here. What they did was to bring cars unassembled and assembled them here. Bodies regularly came assembled, just to be painted or sometimes even painted but needing to be trimmed. Mechanical components (like an engine or transmission) were regularly installed here, but I am sure every assembly plant had their own particular working conditions.

We had many Mercedes sold here assembled at their own plant or in some partnership with the Abed family here, "Automotriz Delta" till 1964 (but I am guessing only 190 and 220 were assembled and the sports cars and specialty models like the S series or the 300 perhaps only partially trimmed, as my 190SL shows mexican original carpet).

Jaguar, Alfa and perhaps also Volvo, were assembled by "Willys mexicana" (or Vehiculos Automotores Mexicanos", which also assembled American Motors and Willys Jeep). Citroën was assembled by "Automotriz O'Farril", in Puebla, which also did Hillman Minx and Packard, and perhaps also Singer and Sunbeam. Renault by "Dina" (Diesel Nacional). Fiat was also assembled by Dina, and later by "Fabricas Automex" which also assembled Chrysler and Simca.

The goverment later made the regulation more strict and the cars sold here needed to have 60% of the parts manufactured here... so that is when all those brands left and we kept Ford, Chevrolet, Plymouth (sold as Chrysler), VW, Renault and Datsun (Nissan).

Enough history...

Glad to be able to compare details with you. My email is vmilkeg at paniplus dot com dot mx

Victor"
Hope this is of interest
Noel

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The problem was that searching on ""Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, AR-1493-07392, Restoration". took me to his blue Sprint, not the white Sprint that apparently is the Mexico car. Now that I have found the white one ....... I see the tag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts