Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All

I know this has been covered previously but all the forum posts I have reviewed seem to be giving different advice/answers.

What parts of the GT Junior contain asbestos?

I know the exhaust heat shields do, the original brake shoes, and most likely the black tar like substance sprayed onto the underside of the shell for heat/sound proofing, but what else?

For instance, does the wool/fabric-like material under the carpet contain it (see pics)? Or just the black stuff underneath that?

Anything on the firewall I should be weary of?

May seem like a minor concern to some, but hey we're all different.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
The black tar on the top of the floors does contain asbestos. The tar that covers some of the jute may contain asbestos. The round exhaust gasket, that goes between the headers and the steel exhaust tubes. Some cylinder head gaskets, possibly some other gaskets.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I worked in the industry...Fiberglass and asbestos were part of the repertoire.. As a rule the fiberglass you see on the floor matting is long fiber that is flexible..It is a soft long fiber held together with a bonding agent which is put into a oven and produced as a mat similar to what you find in the old style carpe matting. Asbestos is a totally different animal. It occurs in nature and is very short fibers bundled naturally sort of like a cigarette filter only tinier and very friable or brittle... If you use this analagy.. if the fibers are soft and plyable and long like human hairs or even more cross-section I would consider it safe. The fiberglass matt can be dusty but it wont kill you. Asbestos on the other hand is usually part of a slury as a heat sink and reinforcement and molded or formed into boards, brake lining, furnace brick, steam pipe covering , exhaust manifolds, etc . the items mentioned were pretty much right on and should be handled with care to keep from ingesting ANY DUST PARTICLES no matter how small that are asbestos.. It takes many years of exposure to get sick from it.. The thousands of people who were stricken with the lung disease mesothelioma were not just exposed in an instant like Corona.. It took years of ignorance and exposure about asbestos before a diagnosis was made. Now you can all sleep easy.

If you still aren't sure and must remove the matting... saturate it with water, before you scrape it off.

·
Registered
1974 GTV 2000
34 Posts
I have found broken/delaminated asbestos on the back of my exhaust heat shields. I have just sealed them in a plastic bag for now. When I get around to it my plan will be to don some protective gear and scrape it off the metal backing while keeping the whole thing very wet, possibly even underwater! Will then dispose of it at local waste centre, they accept it for about $35 as long as it is sealed in a heavy polythene bag. I will then put a more suitable modern heat shild material on the backing plate.
I would be surprised if there was asbestos in the sound deadening on the floors (inside car). It seemed like a bitumen product when i was removing it. If there is asbestos in it I would imagine it would be safely encapsulated within the bitumen.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
I have found broken/delaminated asbestos on the back of my exhaust heat shields. I have just sealed them in a plastic bag for now. When I get around to it my plan will be to don some protective gear and scrape it off the metal backing while keeping the whole thing very wet, possibly even underwater! Will then dispose of it at local waste centre, they accept it for about $35 as long as it is sealed in a heavy polythene bag. I will then put a more suitable modern heat shild material on the backing plate.
I would be surprised if there was asbestos in the sound deadening on the floors (inside car). It seemed like a bitumen product when i was removing it. If there is asbestos in it I would imagine it would be safely encapsulated within the bitumen.
My company used asbestos for a reinforcement on heat related insulations until somewhere around 1975-76.. Anytime afetr that it pretty much was gone form the transportaion and building industry... like lead paint. I don't think it is even in brake components anymore.. Remember the name Raybestos? Everyone in the business has been sued to the last $. Johns Manville was killed by it. We filed bankruptcy after being one of the last companies standing and it didn't it matter if you were NOT exposed to one of our products.. Siince we were the lats one standing we got the suit even if it was for a product we didn't make. We were the bad guy ... We spent $100's of millions too much to figure.. settling on claims and finally got a judgement that would allow us to put a kitty/trust together that is now in force to this day for claimants almost 50 years after we stopped making products with asbestos.. (BTW the product we made was about 0.0005% of our $5 Billion business) . It was fair and the trust works and the owner of the Baltimore Orioles was happy. he was the lead lawyer against us. It was a mess. My company survived and is flourishing and we played by the rules and made good on our suits until the trust took over.. We NEVER dodged our reponsibility no matter how small the business was. Sorry for the editorial.. The company is OC... the Pink Panther.

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
Under the carpet and up the firewall is fiber jute. There's no asbestos. I don't think there's asbestos in the undercoating either. Regardless a good quality dust mask it's always a good idea working around crumbling, dirty nasty fifty year old coatings...
Good to know!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
I have found broken/delaminated asbestos on the back of my exhaust heat shields. I have just sealed them in a plastic bag for now. When I get around to it my plan will be to don some protective gear and scrape it off the metal backing while keeping the whole thing very wet, possibly even underwater! Will then dispose of it at local waste centre, they accept it for about $35 as long as it is sealed in a heavy polythene bag.
I would strongly suggest you not try to scrape it off, even wearing PPE or doing it wet. Classic Alfa has new shields, I would argue it's false economy to try to save the ones you've got and risk scattering asbestos.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just saw this discussion which is rather timely for me. I'm about to replace my 1974 GTV carpet and the floor matting underneath with dynamat, and I'm concerned about asbestos and/or fiberglass exposure not only for myself, but especially for my kids. Should I be concerned? Would it be safe to scrape off the residual matting and tar and clean the interior using a home vacuum cleaner? What precautions should I be taking? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just saw this discussion which is rather timely for me. I'm about to replace my 1974 GTV carpet and the floor matting underneath with dynamat, and I'm concerned about asbestos and/or fiberglass exposure not only for myself, but especially for my kids. Should I be concerned? Would it be safe to scrape off the residual matting and tar and clean the interior using a home vacuum cleaner? What precautions should I be taking? Any advice appreciated.
So I actually had someone come and take samples as I couldn’t find the info I wanted online. The black, tar like stuff under the carpet and wool like insulation does contain asbestos, so be mindful of that. I still need to get more details off the company as to the other samples, but they confirmed this bitumen like substance, at least on my car, does contain chrysotile asbestos.

I would be super careful with all coatings and materials to be honest. Who knows what else contains it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess this should hardly be a surprise given the below pic which has been posted on a previous thread:

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Asbestos killed my father and caused him great suffering in his final years. The thought that there is asbestos in these cars terrifies me. It's dreadful stuff and not to be triffled with. I wonder what responsibility Alfa Romeo takes for this and whether they offer any guidance/instructions on it's safety when disturbed.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
I'm not an expert, but I'd be less worried about the asbestos/tar mix. Asbestos is only really a problem if the fibers loose in the air or on your skin, the tar should help prevent that. If you just leave the tar coating in place and don't try to mess with it or grind it off it should be okay. The heat shields are a bigger problem because that's just bare asbestos, and it's typically flaking like crazy.

The fiberglass wool isn't particularly dangerous. You can remove that with basic PPE (gloves, N95 mask, vacuum cleaner). It's an irritant but nothing like asbestos in terms of hazard.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yikes. That's what I was afraid of. How do folks deal with this issue when doing ground up bare metal restorations? And where exactly are the heat shields?

·
Registered
1969 GTV 1750 Australia
316 Posts
I removed the sound deadener from two 60's Porsches before I knew that ...

·
Registered
288 Posts
In the 70's, early 80's I was a mechanic. Changing clutches, blowing out brake dust with an air line. I've often thought of this, I'm 68 and Ok, but maybe my final days are written.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yikes. That's what I was afraid of. How do folks deal with this issue when doing ground up bare metal restorations? And where exactly are the heat shields?
The heat shields are mounted with screws to the floor pans above the front and middle exhaust mufflers. The top side of the shield (facing the floor pan) has friable material so care must be taken when removing and handling them.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
The heat shields are mounted with screws to the floor pans above the front and middle exhaust mufflers. The top side of the shield (facing the floor pan) has friable material so care must be taken when removing and handling them.
Absolutely .. a very likely spot for it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Following up here with the previous discussion. Below is the original fiber/jute padding with what appears to be a black bitumen coating that is underneath my carpet and extending up the fire wall. I assume this is the material mentioned by Hootz and Gubi above. The padding is coming apart on the firwall and the dust/residue frequently appears on my carpet underneath my gas pedal. If I want to remove this and replace with new padding--what is the safest way to go about doing this? Or should I just not bother given the risk this and just apply replacement carpet or new padding over it? Thanks again for your advice!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts