Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Yes, I have a Sprint with Dunlop Brakes the original rear pads are asbestos.

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
Pretty much every car made in 1965, regardless of disk or drum, would have had asbestos formulated pads or shoes. Worldwide.

Replacement parts would have gradually been introduced over the years that used non-asbestos formulations. While possible, it is unlikely that any car regularly driven over the ensuing 55 years would still have many original brake components. The current friction material is more likely to not contain asbestos.

Having said that, the asbestos in brake pads and shoes is highly unlikely to pose a risk to you, or the world. Problems accrue when one is exposed to long term exposure to high quantities, such as asbestos processing plants, asbestos mines, etc. It is a naturally occurring substance, so it’s reintroduction to nature via landfills and other disposal means may be viewed as reducing its risk as compared to large accumulations in manufacturing processes and mines.

When new laws made asbestos use in brakes problematic, new thinking led to formulations with such things as ceramic and steel. Contrary to intuition, steel tends to reduce brake wear by more rapidly removing heat from the friction face, whereas asbestos’ good insulating properties kept the heat at the point of contact.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gents. My car has only 28,xxx miles on it so I think the shoes contain asbestos.

·
Push hard and live
9,655 Posts
Drive it. No worries.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Although my experience is limited, I like the asbestos linings in old Alfas better. The 62 Spider that I drove in the mid 70s had original linings, which were quiet and effective. I have the non-asbestos type in my 59 Spider now. They are noisy at low speeds. I also think that the modern material is less sensitive to variation in pedal pressure, in other words, not as easy to modulate. My 59 Porsche probably has original brake linings, which I also like better than the newer linings in my Alfa.

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
the asbestos in brake pads and shoes is highly unlikely to pose a risk to you, or the world. Problems accrue when one is exposed to long term exposure to high quantities, such as asbestos processing plants, asbestos mines, etc.
Agree. The stuff was probably banned because of health issues to the workers in brake shoe manufacturing companies; not drivers or mechanics. Just don't blow the dust out of a drum with an airhose, especially if you aren't wearing a respirator.

TomF2 said:
I also think that the modern material is less sensitive to variation in pedal pressure, in other words, not as easy to modulate.
Modern, non-asbestos brake material comes in a wide variety of hardness and coefficient of friction. I had my Alfa Giulia shoes re-lined by Brake Materials and Parts ( Brake Materials & Parts ) who understand Alfas, and they came out great. That replaced a previous re-lining done by the local shop who understood heavy trucks; those were way too hard.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
More then likely you will find NOS which of course has asbestos, in any case, if you decide to do the job yourself where a painters mask and do not use an air gun to clean the dust.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Modern, non-asbestos brake material comes in a wide variety of hardness and coefficient of friction. I had my Alfa Giulia shoes re-lined by Brake Materials and Parts ( Brake Materials & Parts ) who understand Alfas, and they came out great. That replaced a previous re-lining done by the local shop who understood heavy trucks; those were way too hard.
I had mine relined at Brake Materials and Parts. As I say, they work fine, but make noise at low speeds. The pedal sensitivity is fine in normal driving. At highway speeds, the brakes work great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts