Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're finally taking a step forward in the timing and scoring area. We do it partly because of the age of our existing timing system and partly because we're running so many joint events with TCRA. Here's what we plan to do:

Race Group will need transponders starting with the next event (Mar 22 & 23, Willow Springs) in order to be scored. Racers who were at the event last weekend already know this. If someone wants to race and not be scored, it's OK to run without a transponder.

Time Trials will need transponders next year (2009). You can "run for fun" without a transponder but you will not get a time.

There will be a limited number of transponders available to rent (est price for weekend is $50) but purchasing one is probably a better long term solution. The transponders will be the TranX260 type made by AMB. The TnetX in-car system will not be supported at present and there is no schedule for incorporating it.

There are two types of TranX260 transponder, battery powered and direct wired. Either can be purchased from AMB directly. The batter powered unit lists of $420 and the direct wired, for $380. I bought my direct wired unit over the internet a number of years ago from a reseller and got a better deal. AROSC does not intend to get into the transponder sales business so you'll have to track down good deals on your own.

FWIW, I wired my transponder into the fuel pump circuit so it comes on whenever the fuel pump is running.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
How many is interested in a group buy from AMB?
From Colin I know that the BMW guys could get them at $370 (instead of $420) for the rechargeable one, and $335 (instead of $380) for the wired version. They needed 10 orders for the discount.

How much does the track-side equipment cost to support TnetX?

Jes

·
Registered
374 Posts
From Colin I know that the BMW guys could get them at $370 (instead of $420) for the rechargeable one, and $335 (instead of $380) for the wired version. They needed 10 orders for the discount.

Jes
I'm in for a wired unit. Forget about batteries, you install it and on to something else.
Jorge

·
Registered
271 Posts

Jes

I'm in for DP wired. Let me know in a few days if this happens.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Unless you take a different car to the track each time you go racing, get the hard wired one! At the vintage events, I constantly see people forgetting to put them on their cars before they go on track or die on them becase they didn't charge them long enough.

Bruce, if we already have one, can we register the number with AROSC/TCRA so we don't have to dig it up before every event?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... Bruce, if we already have one, can we register the number with AROSC/TCRA so we don't have to dig it up before every event?
I'm sure AROSC will come up with something to keep track of them but I don't know how TCRA handles it. They've been using transponders for years so they must have some system. I'll see what I can learn.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Four wired units so far. I imagine Jim needs one too...??? I'll call him or bug him next Sunday. Zamani? Jeff? others? I try call AMB tomorrow to see what exact terms they can offer us.
Jes

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Transponder

I'm in for a hard wired.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, I gave the TCRA guys my transponder number at our last event and they recorded all my times, and I mean all, even when I had people out for instructional rides. The times were uploaded to MyLaps.com || powered by AMB transponders where I've been able to review them. Usually I don't even get a single laptime for the whole weekend so this was a real treat. Best time was the last lap of the 1st practice Sat, 1:38.307. Interesting because I was heat cycling some new tires.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Looks like we have 5 interested in a wired unit so far: Jorge, fatbillybob (sorry, didn't get your name), Doug, Paul, Jes.

I spoke with AMB. They will see what they can offer in terms of a group buy and hopefully I will know soon. I mentioned we have 5 people so far, possibly more.

Bruce,
Is the Alfa club getting their own AMB track side equipment, or will we just use TCRA's? What happens if we have an event without their participation?

Jes

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm in for a hard wired unit.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Ok, so we got: Jorge, fatbillybob (sorry, didn't get your name), Doug, Paul, Jeff, Pat, Jes.

BTW, I also asked them about the TnetX in car display of live race info: time gap to car in front, behind, are you gaining/loosing time, etc. TnetX Display - AMB Identification and Timing
It would require 3 things:
1. Extra loop in track 100 ft after start-finish to communicate from timing equipment to cars.
2. Expansion of timing equipment.
3. In-car display + communication box.

The expansion of the timing equipment wasn't horribly expensive, but the in-car display + communication box was way more than what I would personally be willing to spend. All were preliminary prices in euro, so perhaps it will change... They obviously need to work with the tracks to get the 2nd loop in the ground.

Jes

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Great, that's 8. The more the better in terms of getting discount from them.
Jes

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what happens when you're relaxed and not trying as hard.
I think you're right. But I had a bit more tire on for the quick lap, 225/45-15 vs 205/50-15 plus they were on 8" vs 7" rims. But I don't yet know enough about these tires to know if they made a difference. It was just nice to get the additional information thanks to the transponder system.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ok, so we got: Jorge, fatbillybob (sorry, didn't get your name), Doug, Paul, Jeff, Pat, Jes.

(snip)
Jes
Jes
I'm sure there should be at least 20 people interested, so if there's time, we each need to contact those we know would be interested. There's at least 3 in northern cal as well (Zamani, Nizam, Peter perhaps)
This thread is fairly new and many people don't read the AlfaBB daily.

Can we get the list of all racers and time trialers so they can be made aware of this thread and the chance of buying the transponder at a discounted price? I know Craig Goldenson does do mailings.

Jorge

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes, we should talk to as many as possible. I spoke with Zamani this evening and I alse sent Jim an email. I'll send Nizam an email as well. I don't have Craig's email. What about the guys out of Omega: Scott, Silvano, ...
Jes

1 - 20 of 188 Posts