Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
fatbillybob said:
Only pad what you will hit and allow for body stretch in your harness so you can hit further than you initially think.

Use SFI 45.1 spec padding only http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=175

pad the cage after you mount your seat and place the cage and harness so you can see the likely candidates for padding.

Hope that helps[/QUOTE

fatbillybob: Thanks for the link and the advices! If I get Paul to make me a "Holiday price" for his used roll bar I should have some money left to buy the padding :)
Stefano

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Where do you guys usually mount the fire extinguisher? Does the fire extinguisher need to be a certain type, or can we just buy one at kragen?

Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Where do you guys usually mount the fire extinguisher? Does the fire extinguisher need to be a certain type, or can we just buy one at kragen?

Thanks!
TT&race general instructions on every event sign-up sheet says "Fire Extinguisher securely mounted within driver reach". The old comp code says "****pit mounted 2.5lb automotive BC fire extinguisher properly charged". So I would ask Paul Ellis or go with combine the two...2.5lb BC unit within reach. Do NOT use plastic mounts. A good way to mount is on the passenger seat front hold down bolts and use a metal quick release strap to hold the unit. No Plastic. South Bay fire extinguisher in Redondo Beach has what you need. Thay have in the past also sold me just metal straps. Some auto parts stores have them too.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks, I saw that information arleady.

So what is an "automotive BC" extinguisher? So you mount the extinguisher with the passenger seat in place too?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks, I saw that information arleady.

So what is an "automotive BC" extinguisher? So you mount the extinguisher with the passenger seat in place too?
Yes go to kragen and look at the unit. It needs to be 2.5lb capacity or higher, rated for B and C class fires. It could be ABC but needs at least B and C. And yes bolts to same place at front seats with seat installed. You need to fab or have fabricated a simple metal bracket to go between the seat anchors and then attach the metal quick release on to the metal bracket. This is done because in a crash a loose unit can fly around and kill you or roll into an unaccessable place when you need it.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Grant,
I know a lot of people have the fire extingusher mounted in somewhat hard to reach places, thinking "ah, will never need it" Trust me, you want it within easy reach - been there! In your milano, take out the passenger front seat and mount it in front-rear orientation on the left rail. I have it that way in Roxanne, and it is real easy to get to (fully strapped in).

Practically, any type of house hold fire extinguisher will do - they are typically ABC. I got a box with two from Costco - one for the house, one for the car (back when I was tracking the red milano).
Jes

·
Registered
209 Posts
On my GTV6 I mounted the extinguisher behind the passenger seat. I drilled two holes through the floor, primed, and added some big fat fender washers as baking plates. My thinking was that should it come loose I would have some warning with it banging around in the back before it worked its way into the front cabin. The main thing is that you need to be able to reach the release strap with your harness fastened as tight as you'd have it while on the track. Billybob gives good advice, and is very right with the metal strap. If you can get a bracket with a double strap, then so much the better. You really don't want an extinguisher beating on you coming into turn 9 at wsir. That'd wreck your whole day. If you have spare cash and can't find it elsewhere, IOport racing have double metal strap brackets, and the right kind of extinguishers. the extinguisher you can get pretty much anywhere (lowes, osh, home-depot, kragen, etc). A good bracket is hard to find. Of course Halon is better yet. :D

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks for the info on that you guys!

Another thing, to use a 5 point harness, will I need to buy a racing seat just for time trialing? May I use the stock Recaro that came in my Verde with a 5 point harness? It doesn't have the holes for the straps, but I've seen some people route the harness between the two vertical bars that hold the headrest in place.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Does your recaro seat have a sub strap hole? If no then no 5pt. You cannot safely use a 5pt by bringing the sub strap over the front cushion. You can use the shoulder straps through the headrest area. Not ideal but it works. If you do not have shoulder holes or have the shoulder straps contained they will slip off in a crash and you will die. If you don't have the sub hole you can use a 6pt parachute set-up for your sub strap. Most 5 pt cams or latches can take a "T" or "V" buckle sub strap into the 5th point on the cam or latch. This is not all that comfortable on the "boys" but it works.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Although you need to ask Paul Ellis the AROSC rule on how your 5 or 6 pt should be mounted. What I posted above is what I think for minimum safety. I do not think 5th pt sub over the front cushion helps prevent anti-submarine and most crash tests prove that. It is also well known that shoulder harnesses on stock seats with no containment slip off in crashes. That's one reason why OEM 3pt belts cross over your chest.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I need to read up more on the anti-submarine belt and how it is supposed to be moutned, because I got completely lost (and just ignore that part, I think I need to look at some diagrams tonight..if I cannot figure it out from there, then I'll ask for some help).

As far as the shoulder straps go, what do you mean by containment? My seats have two certical bars that are attached to the head rest, so in other words, my seat and head rest are two seperate parts. If I routed the two shoulder belts inbetween the head rest bars, I think they could only break free if the headrest comes off or the bars are broken by the force of the shoulder belts pushing against them. Is this a legitimate concern?

I will add a picture of what my seat looks like.

Verde Recaros are very much like this seat. The headrest can rise above the via two notched bars. The headrest cannot come off the seat by the way ( I just went out to the car and tugged as hard as I could on the headrest to seperate it from the seat).

Thanks for your help,
Grant

·
Registered
271 Posts
Basically you are using a "stockish" OEM seat with racing harnesses which is really a NO-NO. But many have done it and many more will. I do not know Paul's or the clubs opinion on this I am just one data point but I tend to err on the safe side. First your seat was never designed to be used as a race seat. So here is what to do to kind of fudge it and let Paul deside it it is club legal. First route the shoudler straps between the posts of the headrest like you say. this will contain the belts and minimize your ability to be spilled out in a crash. Second buy a T or V sub strap to be sued as a 6 pt parachute. The rear of the subs can be mounted to the RR and LR seat anchor points (not so great) or the LR and RR lap belt anchor points (better). Then you sit on the V strap and plug the bucle end into where your 5th pt sub would hook into on your cam. This avoids the over the front seat cushion 5th pt and still gives you decent anti-sub function which is really hip control of the lap belt. Se this picture of this exact set-up.

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sometimes you can buy shoulder straps with an "H" sewn in-between which also prevents belt dumping off your shoulder when used with stock seats or you can do something like this....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Grant - I cut a hole in the fabric of my Recaro to allow the 5th (anti-submarine) belt to work in the way it was designed to.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Thanks for the help so far. I'm gonna read some more online and I'll be sure to post if I still don't understand.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Tech Sheet

AROSC shops "should" have a blank copy.
If it is lost then I think Paul Ellis is the supplier.
When I was the Tech Guy I was the keeper of the forms.

·
Registered
130 Posts
AROSC shops "should" have a blank copy.
If it is lost then I think Paul Ellis is the supplier.
When I was the Tech Guy I was the keeper of the forms.

This is not for a AROSC shop. I want to give the sheet to my mechanic so he can make sure all the required items are in order. Then I will take the car to an AROSC tech.

Also I have several friends that will be running with AROSC for the first time interested in the tech requirements.

We don't need the actually sheet but only the items checked on the sheet.

21 - 40 of 85 Posts