Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out here go to the Fontana AROSC event? Who won Alfa Cup? Good turn out? Any pictures...please say yes?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fontana

The Fontana event was great, ...and just a little hot!

There wasn't a very big Alfa turnout, so there were only 4 Alfa Cup cars out of a race field of 27. Chris Mayring and Randy Harris had awesome battles both days in "C", with Chris beating Randy to the line by less than a car length, and there was also a great "D" battle between Marc Hesthal and Phil Guiral. Phil won that one by 2 car lenghts. Great racing!

From memory only...time trial winners......

Doug Bender in B
Chris Mayring in C
Jim Ferris in D
Jeff Threan E
Norm Silverman in I

TTOD: Bob Blizzard, Ranger, 1:11

Race overall:

1. Bob Blizzard, Ranger
2. Joel Quaid, Ferrari 360 Challenge
3. Brad Gray, Ferrari 360 Challenge

Of interest: There were 2 Lamorghini Diablos in Intro Group. Dennis Fibrow and I got to take them out for a few "hot laps" during time trial practice. Whew!

1 picture:

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
CONGRATS

Congrats to AlfaBB members Jeff Thraen and Norm Silverman for winning their classes at the AROSC Time Trial at the CA Speedway road course.

Also, congrats to member Phil Guiral for winning Class D in the Alfa Cup.

Way to represent guys!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I forgot to bring my camera, so sorry, no pictures.

The field was noticeably thinner than other events this year. Probably had something to do with the heat, the track layout, and maybe the fact that VARA had just run the prior weekend. The benefit was that I was never held up in practice or the time trial! Well unless you call moving over to watch the Ferrari's whistle past being held up. Actually, come to think of it, it was probably good race practice for coming into the braking zone off line.

I had a great time. We were in the garage next to Joel Quaid and his Ferrari's. What a treat those cars are! Everytime they came back into the garage, they revved the motors before they shut them down. I don't know if that is to keep from fouling the plugs or what, but it sure sounded great!

I am already looking forward to Las Vegas. I really hope that the Super is ready by then. The GTV really needs to have some negative camber and some better tires but that would move me up to 'D'. I think that I can do all of the mods I want to the Super and still be an 'E' car. Not that I need to stay in 'E', just it is in my long range plan to win the season championship in each class before moving up!;)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Fontana

Another fun weekend for this old man and his old car.
Interesting experience driving in Group 3 when a Ferrari suddenly appears on your tail pipe going through the corners. Screw the passing zone - gave him a wave on a wide corner and Brad was gone.
Need some Class IP cars to run against. No real test setting track lap records by myself.

Hope to see you all at school in Sept and Vegas (new lap record?) in Oct.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Race practice???

Jeff,

Did I just hear you say "race pracite"?? Does this mean that you are working up to race group?? I hope so!

As for the Ferrari's reving the engine when they came into the garage.....The mechanics that work on those cars rolled their eyes every time Joel did that at Sears Point. Those cars are fuel injected, and they told me that it was unnessesary. It did sound pretty cool though. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh you bet I am working up to race group! I can hardly wait.

Time trialing is fun, but there is nothing like diving into the inside of a corner and taking it away from someone who wants it just as bad as you do.

That is the only bad thing about my group E car, Norman, in his group "I" Super, is the only car on the track running slower than me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts