Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just confimed our "guest instructor" for the AROSC Driving School in September............

As you know, our past instuctors were Milt Minter (who raced the Otto Zipper Alfa Tipo 33 Can Am car) and the legendary John Morton....

Just 10 minutes ago, I got a confirmation call for our newest guest instructor:

Clue # 1

He raced F1 for 2 full seasons. His best Formula 1 finish was 8th at the German GP (Hochenheim) (has anyone here even MET an F1 driver before?). This is a good chance for some GREAT instruction..

Clue # 2

His Alfa Romeo racing history in North America is more sugnificant than ANYONE ANYTIME! (No, it's not Horst Kwech).

Clue #3

He raced in the International Race of Champions for a season.

Clue #4

He was "Roookie of the Year" at Indy when he finished 2nd.

Clue # 5

He sat on the pole at Indy with a qualifying time of over 232 mph.

Clue # 6

He won 2 CART Indy Car races drivng for Granitelli.

Clue # 7

He won 2 IRL races

Clue # 8

When ALFA ROMEO entered the Indy Car fray in 1980, he was the driver.

At this point, if you can't pony up the $150 to learn from THIS GUY, sell your Alfa. What a treat!

First correct guess/driver school entry will get a multi-lap ride around the track with this "mystery driver"!

You know, we really do have a cool club! See you in September!

Bradley Gray
Director of Intoductory Instruction
AROSC

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's great!

You know you could have eliminated all clues but #5 and added "spun while approaching the green flag" ;).

My guess would be that any questions about turbo lag and cold tire strategies might be in bad taste.

Good job Brad!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you look closely...

You'll notice that it is the "T" car, so there MUST be another one somewhere....just to make the Alfa Cup interesting.....:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen that car...

languishing in pieces in Said's shop, too. If you look at this pic of the Scarabeo, you'll see the bodywork leaning on the wall. John Morton drove it once.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
guest instructor

Whilst sitting on the grid waiting for my go, I contemplate my age, the life I've led and then let the clutch out prepared to die. :D
Barfing is from too many beers, not fear.
Thanks for the laps offer Anthony.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
School

The school went great. We had a big turnout, and some awesome cars. There were 5 Ferrari 360 Challenge cars, a Porsche GT3RS (that's the full race version, eligable for ALMS, Grand Am and the 24 Hours of Lemans), lots of cool Alfas, Corvettes, 911s, etc.

Roberto Guerrero was the BEST. He was a great instructor, and everyone seemed to enjoy his insight into getting around a race track. He brought a stack of 8X10 photos of him in the Alfa Indy Car and he signed them for anyone who wanted one. Mine is attached.

Jesse James, host of Monster Garage was one of the race students. He brought out his 360 Challenge (flat black with red flames coming out of the wheel wells). He and I went out for some "demonstration laps" at lunch on Sunday (I was driving the red Ferrari360 - same one I raced in Fontana). It was cool.

Then, Jesse had to take off, so I got to race his Ferrari in the "graduation race" Sunday.

My weekend was particularly cool. At lunch on Saturday, I drove a Caterham Super 7 for a handful of laps, and then spent the rest of the hour in Steve Goldman's yellow Ferrari 360 Challenge. Saturday afternoon (after most people had returned to the hotel) I got to take out the Porsche GT3RS for about 20 laps. Very cool car! Most fun I have ever had driving! Sunday, I drove the red Ferrari, and then raced Jesse's black Ferrari.

So, for me, it was a good weekend, even if Jesse's car ran out of gas during the race.

Brad

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts