Alfa Romeo Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
My family and I were camping in the RV at Laguna Seca back in July. When I was at the gift shop I asked why the AROSC never gets any dates. After saying that we had some of the loudest cars out there, the guy says that since so many richie-richies have built mcmansions right next to a known race facility that they are only allowed 26 days of noise per year. Not 26 weekends, 26 DAYS out of 365 !!! Needless to say, we're probably screwed since there are more $$$ from other sources. There are some trackday groups we could just swarm and take over with a little organization. Other than that I don't know.

Just my $.02

Dan

·
Registered
297 Posts
Andrew,

The schedule is already posted at AROSC Home Page
2008 EVENT
Jan 12, 13 Time Trials & Race, Willow Springs
Feb 2, 3 High Performance Driving School, Streets of Willow
May 31, Jun 1 TT, Race & Enduro, Buttonwillow
Aug 30, 31 High Performance Driving School, Streets of Willow
Oct 11, 12 Time Trials & Race, Willow Springs

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Oh, thanks; I guess the one I was looking at wasn't updated yet.
Andrew
Interesting. I updated the schedule on the AROSC website and posted a notice in this thread near the end of November. If you're not seeing the new schedule, try clicking your browser's "reload" button.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
2008 Schedule Update

As you know, we've been talking with TCRA about running some joint events. I'm glad to say that those talks have turned into something more concrete and that we have added several more events on our 2008 Schedule. Basically, here's what's happening: TCRA will run at our Jan Willow Springs and May/Jun Buttonwillow events, and we will run at their Mar Willow Springs, Apr Buttonwillow and Sep Spring Mt events. We are also working on some other possibilities but we they're too tenuous to discuss at present. Besides, this is a pretty full schedule as it stands.

At the joint events, both clubs will have cars on track at the same time but each club will do its own registration, tech inspections and scoring. Only people who register with AROSC will be included in the AROSC results. In other words, if cars finish in the order, Car1(AROSC), Car2(TCRA), Car3(AROSC), the AROSC results would indicate Car1 as 1st and Car3 as 2nd.

One thing that is very likely to result from sharing the track is that we will start requiring transponders (AMB TranX260) in both time trial and race cars. We would allow people "run for fun" without transponders but they would not get times and would not be scored. We won't be ready to use transponders at the Jan Willow Springs event, but by the Mar Buttonwillow event we probably will be. I'm being a bit vague on this because we haven't decided on exactly when and how to implement the change. The one thing we are sure of is that in order to run these combined events effectively, we'll need a more modern timing system, one that will allow us to keep track of AROSC cars separate from TCRA cars. As soon as I have any more information on this, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If we are members of both TCRA and AROSC this first event of 2008 is when TCRA does their annual tech which allows tech to last for the calender year for TCRA events. If an AROSC member gets this sign off from TCRA on this event will this be accepted by AROSC or do we have to do tech twice...1 with TCRA for our annual and 1 with AROSC for 1/12/08?

Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bruce: The schedule is looking good! :) Book Laguna Seca for any day tha we can get. I am sure that we will have a good turnout.
The GTV6 will be ready for January. See you at Willow.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
1 with TCRA for our annual and 1 with AROSC for 1/12/08?
If you are a member of both, it appears from Bruce's post that you just sign up with your favorite club (AROSC, of course), and then you have to meet their requirements, i.e. their tech regulations.
Jes

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If we are members of both TCRA and AROSC this first event of 2008 is when TCRA does their annual tech which allows tech to last for the calender year for TCRA events. If an AROSC member gets this sign off from TCRA on this event will this be accepted by AROSC or do we have to do tech twice...1 with TCRA for our annual and 1 with AROSC for 1/12/08?

Thanks!
Jes is correct. Running with AROSC means complying with AROSC's requirements. There are a number of differences between the two clubs. For example AROSC requires a 5-point harnesses for TT, TCRA does not. TCRA requires a full roll cage for Race, AROSC does not. There are other differences but I'll let you work them out yourselves. The important thing is that the attitudes of the people who run, and who attend the events are very similar.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Bruce: The schedule is looking good! :) Book Laguna Seca for any day tha we can get. I am sure that we will have a good turnout.
The GTV6 will be ready for January. See you at Willow.
We are looking into Laguna Seca for a weekday or two, but personally, I consider it a long shot. I'm not nearly as sure as you are that we'd generate enough in entry fees to cover costs. But perhaps if we could build up a little cash surplus we could risk it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Do we know how costs will be for the TCRA events, or will AROSC folks pay normal AROSC fees at those? Thanks

Andrew
TCRA's prices are very similar to, but slightly lower than ours. However, if things work out with these joint events, we should be able to drop our prices to some extent.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It'll draw NorCal folks, but maybe we're a relatively small percentage compared to SoCal. I'll go if the weekend works out.

Andrew
Assuming your response is related to Laguna Seca, I can assure you that AROSC will not have a weekend event there in 2008. They tell us there are no such dates available and that we should forget it. They also say there's not any point in trying to be on a waiting list in case something becomes available because it won't. They're very firm on all this so I believe them. It seems the best we can do is to try again next year.

·
Registered
341 Posts
We are looking into Laguna Seca for a weekday or two, but personally, I consider it a long shot. I'm not nearly as sure as you are that we'd generate enough in entry fees to cover costs. But perhaps if we could build up a little cash surplus we could risk it.
Bruce: I just tried to sign-up for the Laguna Seca event on January 29 with GGLC. Guess what? Over a month early and it's all sold out :eek: If you can get a date at Laguna Seca, book it! It will sell out, guaranteed.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've been to weekday events are Laguna Seca. It's usually full, mondays, midweek,, end of the week, etc. Laguna Seca sells. Thursday and Friday dates will almost guarantee a full house.

·
Registered
271 Posts
There seem to be plenty of other clubs running Laguna that take outsiders. The problem I see is that most of those clubs are Driver's Education style. It seems that few clubs actually do time trial and fewer still actually have race groups. Even in our own area, So Cal, there is only TCRA and AROSC with an occasional other group like Pantera that only runs a couple times a year. Next you have to join NASA or SCCA to find a race group. At least that's what it seems like to me.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.