Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey cats! Have you noticed that the Pres, VP and Secretary of AROC are (as of 3 July) all from Florida?!?! And the convention where they got voted in was in Florida too???

I'm not saying that they aren't great choices, but I'm a bit scared of how votes go in Florida...if you know what I mean?;)

The line-up for this year is as follows:

Pres: Marc Mosko - Hollywood, FL
VP: Chip Denyko - Tampa, FL
Sec: Dave Rigall - Tampa, FL

Of course, the Treasurer is still Ed Geller of NJ, while his wife Shayna is still AROC Administrator...I guess they'll hold those jobs for as long as they still want to do them.

Of note, there are no Directors from some of the most popular Alfa areas in the US - like California, Chicago area, etc. What's up with that?

For any of you who are AROC members, let's try and spread it out a bit better next time, OK?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Alex,
As a currnet member of the board- I'd like to point out that people volunteer to be on the board. So its easy to get two people from one region (like Oregon who have 2), and most that have none, as nobody is interested.

The coincidence that the convention was in Florida and 3 of the new officers are also from there is just that. Chip has been a board member for many years, Marc, the same time as me, but wanted to be president. And Dave was rather surprised with his nomination, and nobody else wanted to run for that.

I would encorage everyone to get more involved with AROC. There are some cool things that one can do as a member of the club... And the more you are involved, the more events that you want to see happen will be organized.

Eric

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Understood. I didn't mean to sound truly upset, I just wanted to open the discussion with a controversial point...it looks like it worked!

As I wrote, I don't have anything against Marc, Chip or any of our Florida Bretheren. I'm sure that they will do a fine job! Marc certainly has a lot of energy and talent to bring to AROC as President! It just seems a bit "lop-sided", as all three of the "Trinity" are from FL. Besides, it just begs a joke about voting and Florida, don't you think?

In any event, I also hope to raise the visibility of AROC on the BB. But, just to make sure that it's fair, I invite anyone with comments about ARA to voice themselves in this discussion, or create another.

I am a happy member of AROC-USA, and am involved at the local level as the elected leader of the Hampton Roads Branch of the Mid-Atlantic Alfa Romeo Club (MAARC, a Chapter of AROC-USA) and also as the Membership Director of MAARC. I have benefited greatly from being a member and I encourage all of you to either go out and join your local Alfa Club, or get enough people together and create a club!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Oh, the jokes that could have been made from the actual vote.

Hopefully, the event will be published soon, but until then, I'll hold my breath.

Eric

p.s. doubling nothing went over really well....

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To help educate those BB members not "in the know", Eric (Turbolare Spider) is an elected Board Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners' Club - USA.

The recent convention, which by all accounts was a very successful and fun Alfa Event was held in Florida. At this annual 2003 convention, new Board members were elected, as were a new President, Vice-President and Secretary.

I am curious to learn what will happen with the monthly magazine (Alfa Owner). Eric, do you know anything about the new publisher, etc?

Cheers,

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have wondered about how you start a local club. I've recently relocated to the Salt Lake City area from NYC and I haven't found an organized ALFA scene. I've noticed two ALFA spiders on the streets of my neighborhood and in the parking garage at work, but short of flagging the people down on the way past how can I get people interested? Can I put an ad in the ALFA Owner magazine?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Alex
Actually, it is now public knowledge, so I can spill the Beans... the new publisher of the Owner is Parabolica Publishing, who also publish the new stand magazine "Vintage Racecar Journal" and a few other "club" magazines.

They've got some very well placed writers in Europe, including AutoItalia regular Ed McDoughna (sp?). I feel bad butchering his name- he's a friend of mine...

So if you've got articles, hold them for a little, then contact Chip with them.

As for starting a chapter, all you need are 10 current members to start a chapter. Pretty easy. For details, call Shayna at 877-399-AROC, she will tell you all that you need to do.

Eric

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that info, Eric!

As to the question of starting a chapter...I often chase down other Alfas just to tell them about the club. It works quite frequently, actually! Besides, it's fun chasing another Alfa down the road and asking them to pull over!

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Not sure. You can send a letter to the editor of the magazine...

The problem is that we need to identify ALL of the Alfa internet groups- the Alfa Digest, Alfaracing, 750/101,... I'm sure there are more that I can find in an hour.

I do know it is one thing we will be working on in the near future.

Eric

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One suggestion which might help get the word out about the AlfaBB to AROC members is for someone to write an article about cool Alfa Internet sites for publication in 'Alfa Owner', the monthly magazine of AROC. All members receive a monthly copy of this magazine and most Alfisti read it pretty much cover to cover.

Obviously, the magazine also offers advertising, so the article cannot be one-sided. It has to be as non-biased as possible and also needs to be informative.

Having read lots of your inputs on the BB, I know there are many of you who can write as well as you drive!:D So, why not put together an article about the BB, the Digest and Racing Digest, Alfacentro.com, the various registers, etc? Heck, it could almost become the fodder for a regular monthly column!

I would write the article myself, but I'm a tad busy right now getting ready to retire next month from military service and doing job interviews. I sure wish I could get an 'Alfisti dream job', like my pal Peter Krause (of Krause and England motorsports) instead of having to look for a job as an "International Arms Dealer" or maybe an "International Man of Mystery" :D , but that seems to be my lot in life.

So....which one of you energetic writers will take on the task?

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
YES, YES, YES!!!

I've got a few other articles that I need to write, but I know the new editor will be very good about timing and making sure articles make the publication.

Next up is the Web Page. Which I will be fishing for suggestions in the next couple of months for...

Eric

1 - 13 of 13 Posts