Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several questions regarding the AROC dues increase from $60 to $68:
1) when was this decision made and who approved it?
2) was the dues increase ever announced or explained in the Alfa Owner?
3) is any portion of the dues increase going to be passed on to the local chapters?
4) how much does AROC spend annually to publish the Alfa Owner and how much of that amount is spent on postage?
5) how much would be saved by eliminating the Alfa Owner entirely?
6) how much would be saved by transferring the Alfa Owner to AROC's website?

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
1) I noticed the dues increase sometime late last year. I assume the AROC board approved it.

3) As treasurer of the Southern California chapter, I can tell you that our share of each member's dues ($10) has not changed. The latest issue of "Alfa Owner" (*) says that chapters will begin receiving their payments quarterly (AROC-national had been reimbursing the chapters monthly).

*) April issue, page 5, "Changes, They Are A-Comin' "

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AROC Dues Increase

I have several questions regarding the AROC dues increase from $60 to $68:
1) when was this decision made and who approved it?
2) was the dues increase ever announced or explained in the Alfa Owner?
3) is any portion of the dues increase going to be passed on to the local chapters?
4) how much does AROC spend annually to publish the Alfa Owner and how much of that amount is spent on postage?
5) how much would be saved by eliminating the Alfa Owner entirely?
6) how much would be saved by transferring the Alfa Owner to AROC's website?
A large portion of AROC's budget is spent on the Alfa Owner; the other large line item is the administrative secretary's salary, I believe.

Many years ago, when Pat was writing Note Brevi, and the guy in Oklahoma, Doug Darling, was publishing the Owner, AROC passed the liability of paying authors, who wrote for the Alfa Owner to the publisher. I'm sure that cost has been integrated into what the publisher now bids to publish the Owner. I know at the time Doug Darling claimed that having to pay authors, in particular Pat, was not disclosed to him at the time of bidding. He refused to pay Pat and Pat discontinued writing Note Brevi for a time until the situation was resolved.

The publisher also is responsible for mailing the Alfa Owner. The club does have postage expenses in mailing annual renewal membership notices as well as reminders, if the first one is not paid.

The dues increase was discussed at the Town Hall Meeting in Sonoma, California at the AROC convention in (2013?). The way it was put out to the membership was that a dues increase was immanent or the pages in the Alfa Owner would have to be cut back or the publishing schedule would have to be less than 12 issues per year.

The general feeling of the people in attendance at the meeting was that the Alfa Owner publication was the only connection that some of the membership had to the club and not all of those were computer or tech savvy plus the issue of copyright in on-line published articles that were not adequately protected and could be downloaded at will, which violates the one-time use provision for articles.

At any rate, dues increases have to be approved by the Board of Directors for AROC and the dues increase most likely was approved the following year at the BoD meeting to cover additional expenses as discussed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts