Alfa Romeo Forums banner

AROC Convention Keeneland pics of Sprint

9K views 54 replies 20 participants last post by  skiwalk 
#1 ·
Did anyone take any pictures of the "trailer queen" Sprint? I'm restoring one and would like a template to use as a guide. I was too busy to take any. Uncle

#7 ·
Congratulations!

Just saw the convention issue of the Alfa Owner.

Rick's Sprint took First in Class (a combined class no less) and Best in Show!

It was awarded 101.7 points, beating an also stunning 750 Berlina by .4 points.

Congratulations Rick, it must be rewarding after all that work to get the recognition as a virtually perfect restoration.

Now I always thought that Concours scoring started with 100 points and deducted points for flaws? Jeez, how do you get more than that? Extra credit for helping the judge push his broken Sprint in the parking lot?

I case you were wondering, we met at the convention and got to hang out with a bit...I'm that guy from RI.

Mike

#8 ·
AROC Convention Keeneland Pics of Sprint

Just saw the convention issue of the Alfa Owner.

Rick's Sprint took First in Class (a combined class no less) and Best in Show!

It was awarded 101.7 points, beating an also stunning 750 Berlina by .4 points.

Congratulations Rick, it must be rewarding after all that work to get the recognition as a virtually perfect restoration.

Now I always thought that Concours scoring started with 100 points and deducted points for flaws? Jeez, how do you get more than that? Extra credit for helping the judge push his broken Sprint in the parking lot?

I case you were wondering, we met at the convention and got to hang out with a bit...I'm that guy from RI.

Mike
I have stayed clear of judging for many reasons, but mostly because of the discussions, probably better classified as arguments, I've witnessed on the green over the years between judges about how to award and/or deduct points on particular cars and the combining of classes. But in short, "bonus" points are awarded for certain items, so you could start with a 100 point car and make up deductions or stay at 100 and earn additional points.

Btw, how many bonus points is that original Alfa luggage worth in a 100 point car? ;)

#10 · (Edited)
fantastic car. Still a fair question, though, of how one gets over 100 points under traditional concours rules?

edit; sorry, just saw Pat's post above re: "bonus points". That's an unusual system

#11 ·
Having judged at a number of events, there is always a matter of interpretation much as there is in Olympic figure skating and balls and strikes umpiring. As long as the judges are consistent on the given day they are judging, the outcome should be the same regardless of the level of scoring. I don't believe in the "over 100 point" raw score system but it is what it is and as long as people don't hang their hat on the raw scores, and stick to rankings of those in attendance the results should speak for themselves. Another way to do it would be to discount the top score over 100 down to 100 and then use the same discount for all scores.. ie. 101.7, 101.3, 98.5 would all be adjusted by deducting 1.7 from all scores resulting in 1st=100; 2nd=99.6; 3rd= 96.8... Unfortunately, it then still implies a totally flawless car that is hard to find anywhere. This has been a debated issue that I refuse to participate in .. at least any farther than these comments.

#30 · (Edited)
I'll post some. I just don't have the capacity to do it just yet. I plan to take it to Lars Anderson's Tutto Italiano October 16 in Brookline (Boston) barring any unforseen circumstances.

FWIW the car is 1493-05021 with original engine 1315.04456 delivered to Auto Koenig in Munich in July 1957 painted in Biarritz Blue. This color won't be found on any color pallet from Alfa and can only be assumed to be a special order. The closest I could find to a match from swatches on the car in shade and texture was a Corvette Frost Blue from the 50's. There are colors by this name offerred today by BMW but they are a deep dark metallic. It has the period muddy look and shows well, I think.

I bought the car in 2005 from a fellow who showed it at the New Hampshire AROC National. It was red then.

#24 ·
Please let me ask some stupid or silly questions. What is that thing on to of where the water pump should be? Is that the fuel pump? How did that work? Well I never......

#25 ·
Hi Bud

Yes that's the fuel pump on the front of the head; it's driven off an eccentric lobe on the front of the exhaust cam – it’s a 750 Normale fitment only, the Veloce ran the Bendix double clicker electric pump.

In practice many 750 Normale’s suffered heat-soak off the motor & radiator which resulted in percolation of the fuel with resultant hard start issues, Alfa moved the pump to below the distributor driven off the eccentric lobe on the oil pump to solve this problem.

Ciao
Greig

#26 ·
Greig,

After reading your post I checked my engine parts baskets and cannot find a fuel pump like that. My car is 03189 built 29 Oct 1956 so I am sure it is a Normale. Do you (or anyone) know where this type of pump might be ?

George

#28 · (Edited)
750 fuel pump

Hi George & Rody

George - Yes, your car should have such a fuel pump, mounts to an aluminium bracket which is fitted to the front of the cylinder head - I've sent you an email in connection with the pump

Hi Rody - I've sent you an email as well

Cheers
Greig

#29 ·
Rody,

I know the ownership of my car back to the late 60s. It sat in an ohio barn for 40+years. I do not believe this was Clause's car. (Met him at the USAROC convention in Lexington in July). He has a wonderful early blue Berlina.

Fazio at Alfa indicates that the car was sold in Germany and was a Capri Blue. I think the records are incorrect. I have looked everywhere as the car is stripped down for bodywork and cannot find ANY blue paint. Not inside door panels, up under the dash, under rubber gromets, behind inside panels, behind windscreen, or anywhere-it's all 501 red.

Greig. Will email you.

George

#32 · (Edited)
@divotandtralee

Hello, very nice car indeed !

As - european - owner of a very original sprint, from march 1957, I notice the wind screen washer bootle holder is located differently on my car. In fact the arrangement of the internal right fender is different as the - bad - picture and the dirty engine bay below shows it.

Are there any variants in this arrangement through time ?

Many thanks.

#33 ·
Valid question. I'm sure yours is correct as I have seen earlier cars than mine that way. I don't know when it was put on the firewall like mine. For the life of me I can't recall why I put it where it is but there must have been a reason. I just can't recall. What color is your car?

#34 · (Edited)
Thank you for your answer. The original color according to the factory records is "Grigio Chiarissimo" (AR 706). The original paint is still visible in the engine bay and under the seals.

The actual body color is a light blue. The car was repainted with care specially inside (dashboard) and top of the doors. But it was not a engine out job.

The question is in balance know : take it back to its original colour or keep it as it is with its patina ? I feel the very pale grey option is interesting since rarer than the blue shade. On the other hand this blue is part of its history !

#35 ·
If it where my car, and if I ever was to respray it. I would respray it in grey. Hermann Schenk has one which is very nice. There is one in the Netherlands which was originally grey but is resprayed in red. Greig has one that was grey also I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.