Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone take any pictures of the "trailer queen" Sprint? I'm restoring one and would like a template to use as a guide. I was too busy to take any. Uncle

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congratulations!

Just saw the convention issue of the Alfa Owner.

Rick's Sprint took First in Class (a combined class no less) and Best in Show!

It was awarded 101.7 points, beating an also stunning 750 Berlina by .4 points.

Congratulations Rick, it must be rewarding after all that work to get the recognition as a virtually perfect restoration.

Now I always thought that Concours scoring started with 100 points and deducted points for flaws? Jeez, how do you get more than that? Extra credit for helping the judge push his broken Sprint in the parking lot?

I case you were wondering, we met at the convention and got to hang out with a bit...I'm that guy from RI.

Mike

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
AROC Convention Keeneland Pics of Sprint

Congratulations Rick, it must be rewarding after all that work to get the recognition as a virtually perfect restoration.

Now I always thought that Concours scoring started with 100 points and deducted points for flaws? Jeez, how do you get more than that? Extra credit for helping the judge push his broken Sprint in the parking lot?

I case you were wondering, we met at the convention and got to hang out with a bit...I'm that guy from RI.

Mike
I have stayed clear of judging for many reasons, but mostly because of the discussions, probably better classified as arguments, I've witnessed on the green over the years between judges about how to award and/or deduct points on particular cars and the combining of classes. But in short, "bonus" points are awarded for certain items, so you could start with a 100 point car and make up deductions or stay at 100 and earn additional points.

Btw, how many bonus points is that original Alfa luggage worth in a 100 point car? ;)

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Mike
How does one get over 100 points? Well you deliver, in the words of one bitter loser, a "trailer queen"......better defined in this case as a 4 year restoration with 3 miles on the odometer that was sort of almost finished the night before we left, to tow it on an open U-Haul trailer 950 miles wrapped in a roll of stretch wrap bought at the Staples office supply store in Hyannis Massachusetts the night before we left. Was it a "trailer queen"? You're damned right it was a "trailer queen" and I'm damned proud of it. The list is endless of contributors- Dean Russell, Mike Besic, Lionel Velez, Olathe KS Chrome, Peps Rod Shop, Hanson MA, Tom Lesko, George Dolak, David Holmes, Craig Morningstar, Reid Cearley, Wicker Francis, Igor, my able assistant (Rod Mossop fom England), Claus Menzel and Linda my wife of 38 years who somehow deals with my projects and is always there to hold something. And may I add as a major contribution everyone who helped on the BB Group who solved some major issues for me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
fantastic car. Still a fair question, though, of how one gets over 100 points under traditional concours rules?

edit; sorry, just saw Pat's post above re: "bonus points". That's an unusual system

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fantastic car. Still a fair question, though, of how one gets over 100 points under traditional concours rules?

edit; sorry, just saw Pat's post above re: "bonus points". That's an unusual system
Having judged at a number of events, there is always a matter of interpretation much as there is in Olympic figure skating and balls and strikes umpiring. As long as the judges are consistent on the given day they are judging, the outcome should be the same regardless of the level of scoring. I don't believe in the "over 100 point" raw score system but it is what it is and as long as people don't hang their hat on the raw scores, and stick to rankings of those in attendance the results should speak for themselves. Another way to do it would be to discount the top score over 100 down to 100 and then use the same discount for all scores.. ie. 101.7, 101.3, 98.5 would all be adjusted by deducting 1.7 from all scores resulting in 1st=100; 2nd=99.6; 3rd= 96.8... Unfortunately, it then still implies a totally flawless car that is hard to find anywhere. This has been a debated issue that I refuse to participate in .. at least any farther than these comments.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have 14 pics of this gorgeous Sprint. Please PM with email address so I can send to you without putting 14 times on the BB. I am restoring a 57.

George

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok, the truth be known, I am responsible for .4 points on this car!!! It was my original fuel line fitting that I gave to Rick just before he left that pushed it over the top! ;)

Tom L.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts