Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I'd say she knows how to take pictures pretty well my friend.

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
This was a very well organized event, with some great Alfas. I was most thrilled to see the 8C2300 parked near to a type 33 Stradale - what a pair of classic Alfas. Then, there was the Sprint SVZ, just out of restoration.

I was parked next to an original owner 750D Spider that was 200 cars down the production line from mine. On the other side of my car was an impeccably prepared 2600 Spider, which won a concours prize. These were just a few examples of the amazing collection of Alfas gathered in Warwick.

Saw your car, Rick, but couldn't find you. Sorry we didn't connect.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was a very well organized event, with some great Alfas. I was most thrilled to see the 8C2300 parked near to a type 33 Stradale - what a pair of classic Alfas. Then, there was the Sprint SVZ, just out of restoration.

I was parked next to an original owner 750D Spider that was 200 cars down the production line from mine. On the other side of my car was an impeccably prepared 2600 Spider, which won a concours prize. These were just a few examples of the amazing collection of Alfas gathered in Warwick.

Saw your car, Rick, but couldn't find you. Sorry we didn't connect.
Tom, we met .. I was judging your car.. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Did you note the winners in all classes. How did you do? I would like to get a list of the standings if you have them. My wife showed the Spider and a GT Jr. while i was judging.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What a great few days - lots of knowledgable people and iconic designs from many decades.

I came away with names of engine builders, to add horses to my stock 1600.

Some additional pictures:

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,363 Posts
This was a very nice convention and I think the organizers did a good job of including everyone. We especially enjoyed the Concorso, the evening out at Federal Hill, and of course lots of good conversation with all types of Alfisti from the owners of the pre-war cars to the owners of brand new 4Cs.

Here's a gallery on our site with photos not only of the Concorso but also general happenings over the preceding few days as well:

Centerline Alfa Parts | 2015 AROC Convention

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was a very nice convention and I think the organizers did a good job of including everyone. We especially enjoyed the Concorso, the evening out at Federal Hill, and of course lots of good conversation with all types of Alfisti from the owners of the pre-war cars to the owners of brand new 4Cs.

Here's a gallery on our site with photos not only of the Concorso but also general happenings over the preceding few days as well:

Centerline Alfa Parts | 2015 AROC Convention
Thanks, Joe... I can't think of a convention with a better mix of cars.
George Pezold's TZ didn't make the reel but was there too worth noting. Nice pics!

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Tom, we met .. I was judging your car.. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Did you note the winners in all classes. How did you do? I would like to get a list of the standings if you have them. My wife showed the Spider and a GT Jr. while i was judging.
Hah! I missed your name tag, then. I did not get an award. I had to leave by 1:00, so I didn't get a complete picture of who won what.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I remember some of the results.

In the Certificato d'Oro class, Mike (Cintos on this board) white Duetto won both the Certifcato and first place (open cars). Gary Venable, with the 317,000 mile gray Duetto from Rhode Island also won a Certificato d'Oro. The stunning GTV parked next to Gary won a Certificato d'Oro and first place closed.

In the 66 to 68 Shine and Show class the beautiful red Duetto from Pennsylvania, got first place. The White Duetto from Minnesota (picture #10) got 3rd place. One of the Berlinas got second, not sure which one (also in picture 10).

Rod Burdick's SS got first in the 56 to 65 Show and Shine class (picture #9). The Blue 2600(picture #2) got third. One of the spiders got second, but not sure which one.

The James Taylor 6C 2500 (picture #3) got both a Certificato d'Oro and the Pat Braden Award.

That's all I remember... they started the Stradale up and I had to go watch!

Mike

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If one wasn't there one would think the Shine and Show format would have been quite a step down in quality from the Certificato class...but they were absolutely transparent. Shine and Show was a slightly less comprehensive format than the criteria on the AROC manual for the Certificato D'oro but there were no cars in that group deserving less attention. It was TOUGH competition all around, as the S&S groupings by blocks of years of production closed and open COMBINED in that age group. My '57 Spider was competing not only against the winners but a 1900 Super owned by Santo Spadaro and any other car from 1947-1965. Same for my GT Jr that had a gaggle of Duettos (1969-1971 group). The CD'O groups were only two ..OPEN and CLOSED regardless of when they were made. I really liked this approach. It added intrigue to the final standings and the casual observers.

Richard Ballantine showed his SVZ fresh out of the womb and elected to just show it not be judged. I guess he didn't think that would be fair... that takes class. I wonder who else would do that.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I'll contribute a few photos that I took. My Spider is in the middle of the first photo. I was kind of impressed that Alex was trying to park us in a way to achieve a nice color layout.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AROC 2015 Convention -- Morning Line

If one wasn't there one would think the Shine and Show format would have been quite a step down in quality from the Certificato class...but they were absolutely transparent. Shine and Show was a slightly less comprehensive format than the criteria on the AROC manual for the Certificato D'oro but there were no cars in that group deserving less attention. It was TOUGH competition all around, as the S&S groupings by blocks of years of production closed and open COMBINED in that age group. My '57 Spider was competing not only against the winners but a 1900 Super owned by Santo Spadaro and any other car from 1947-1965. Same for my GT Jr that had a gaggle of Duettos (1969-1971 group). The CD'O groups were only two ..OPEN and CLOSED regardless of when they were made. I really liked this approach. It added intrigue to the final standings and the casual observers.

Richard Ballantine showed his SVZ fresh out of the womb and elected to just show it not be judged. I guess he didn't think that would be fair... that takes class. I wonder who else would do that.
I'm glad it all worked out. This approach reminds me of previous years in the 80s when I watched judges arguing on the green about authenticity and points to be assigned to cars.

And Rick, not all Alfa wives have the same capabilities as their "wonderful" husbands. I could not compete with Pat's Alfa expertise on many levels including photography. He gave up early on trying to teach me about "F-stops." If point and shoot won't do, don't ask me. Although, I did spend many afternoons operating the pickle switch on photography for Pat's books, while he was pointing at the desired area.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad it all worked out. This approach reminds me of previous years in the 80s when I watched judges arguing on the green about authenticity and points to be assigned to cars.

And Rick, not all Alfa wives have the same capabilities as their "wonderful" husbands. I could not compete with Pat's Alfa expertise on many levels including photography. He gave up early on trying to teach me about "F-stops." If point and shoot won't do, don't ask me. Although, I did spend many afternoons operating the pickle switch on photography for Pat's books, while he was pointing at the desired area.
Missed you there!... Farace-- wonderful shooting.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
AROC 2015 Convention -- Morning Line

Missed you there!... Farace-- wonderful shooting.
Sorry, I missed it also. I was disappointed; I was looking forward to catching up with those I haven't seen since the last east coast convention in New Hampshire. We had our shirts but things didn't come together as planned. Pat and my youngest daughter had surgery on Wednesday along with some other unexpected turn of events.

My sister has this Christmas tradition of making a family calendar. Last year, since Patty and I share the same birthday month, but different astrological signs, us on the cover of the Alfa Owner, along with our friends at the Detroit "unconvention" adorned that month. This year, we'll wear our shirts for the convention we didn't attend.

It's nice to know that I was missed by some.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts