Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 302 Alfa has been cruising along just fine now for almost two years. However, it now sports a Chevy rear end. Two reasons. First, I was always afraid of exploding the small rear Alfa U-joint, though it never happened. Second, I really don't need a 4.10 axle ratio with a V-8. First gear was useless, second gear marginal. Now with a Chevy 3.42, the gearing feels just right. Anybody care to guess why I used a Chevy rear end instead of a Mustang 8.8" or Ford 9" ? -Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sure!

Steve,
Nice job on the new rear. I always wondered about the Alfa rear and whether you ever felt comfortable with it. Now I know!
Sure....why the Chevy? Cost? Ease of installation? Had one laying around? Didn't have to cut the axles? You enjoy messing with people's minds: Ford engine, Chevy rearend?
My "Italian Stallion" has a nine inch, 3.50 gear and the ratio works great!
I see you are running duals. I'll be doing that soon also, since, just like yourself, these cars will never be done. You see I'm building up a 347 to put in. I'm looking for c425 hp. and 4-500 lb.ft. torque.
Just named VP of AROCSD. Maybe we should plan a trip out your way and get these ALFords together!

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chevy Rear

You are close, Alfasax. Mustang 8.8" and Ford 9" need to be narrowed. An early S10 Chevy pickup is only an inch wider than the Alfa - 54" vs. 53" - so I didn't have to narrow it. All I had to do was redrill the axles for the 4-bolt pattern, which we did at school on a huge Bridgeport mill. I thought the extra half inch on each side might mean the tires would hit the fender lips, but they don't. Early S10s came with drum brakes, which are, of course, unacceptable. Later S10s had disc brakes but were five inches wider. Sooooo, I bolted the late disc brakes on to the early axle. It required modifying and moving the axle flanges, but was no big deal. I fabricated the brackets for the control arms, and made another bracket for the tunnion. I got the axle assembly and disc brakes from a junkyard, so cost was minimal. Should be plenty strong, since the center section is the same as a Camaro V-8. -Steve

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
The 5.0 badge is ominous......

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Anybody care to guess why I used a Chevy rear end instead of a Mustang 8.8" or Ford 9"
Because the junkyards are full of them?

Because the Govornment said you had to as part of your tax dollar welfare check to the Govornment Motors Corporation, and as penace for preffering Fords in general?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Because the junkyards are full of them?
LOL, you got me, Darren. The real reason, of course, is that I have plenty of parts from Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, Geo, Volvo, Pantera, BMW, and Fiat, but not enough from Chevy. In the interest of equal opportunity used parts, I had to go with a GM ;) -Steve

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where everybody would see it?!?!?!:D
Very good!! I was at a gas station a few weeks back, which is no surprise considering the 10 gallon tank. A guy came to me from the back of the car and asked why I had a 5.0 emblem on the car. When I told him, he said "WHAT?', walked to the front of the car, then said "Wait here, don't move". He ran back to his car, got his camera and took a bunch of photos. He went away smiling, and shaking his head. Kind of makes it all worthwhile. -Steve

·
Registered
429 Posts
Do either of you have any video or sound clips of these things running...I mean how else do we know you didn't just photoshop everything in there?:D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sure, coming right up.

Sounds clips...videos of our cars running. Sounds great. Let me work on it!
James, aka Alfasax.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
but does it have a LSD?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
but does it have a LSD?
Not yet. LSD is a rare option on S10 axles. As I find time, I'm scouring the bone yards for one, and when I find one, it's an easy swap into my housing. (New ones are about $500, too much for me). In the meantime, in normal driving, I can live with an open rear end. And I don't have to worry a lot about ice or snow here in Phoenix ;) -Steve

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are there threads on the conversions of these 5.0L Alfords?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts