Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

I'm getting ready to purchase a yellow series 4 spider from my father and am trying to learn more about the car and its history. I was curious to know if yellow was a rare color for these cars? I've never seen another one in person before, so I figured I'd the experts up here. Also was curious to know if the original color has an influence on a series 4's value? Thanks in advance-

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Maybe.

I have seen three. including my own with automatic, which is rare (I think). From what I have read Alfa had a run of less than 20 fly yellow S-4s and about 185 S-4 automatics. I have a hard time believing that Alfa would only paint 20 cars yellow. Also, all the yellow cars were supposedly sent to the U. S., although John Tipler has a photo of one in his book on Spiders. I don't have a clue if this data is actually factual or that it is some story that sellers dreamed up to promote their cars. I have watched EBAY and looked into other sources in order to try and trqck down the yellow S-4s. I have some data on about half of them (assuming the 20 is correct). I will need to drag out all my notes if you want any more information.--Harly

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe.

I have seen three. including my own with automatic, which is rare (I think). From what I have read Alfa had a run of less than 20 fly yellow S-4s and about 185 S-4 automatics. I have a hard time believing that Alfa would only paint 20 cars yellow. Also, all the yellow cars were supposedly sent to the U. S., although John Tipler has a photo of one in his book on Spiders. I don't have a clue if this data is actually factual or that it is some story that sellers dreamed up to promote their cars. I have watched EBAY and looked into other sources in order to try and trqck down the yellow S-4s. I have some data on about half of them (assuming the 20 is correct). I will need to drag out all my notes if you want any more information.--Harly
Harly, thanks so much for the reply. Wow, if they in fact did only do 20 of them, I guess that would make them pretty rare. If you stumble across that info in your notes at some point, I'd love to learn more. Regardless, I'm really excited about getting this car. Before my father, I believe it had only one other owner in Florida. It is in beautiful shape and runs great. Only issue seems to be 'grindy' synchros if you don't shift it really slowly and methodically. The only other Alfa I have owned to date was an '87 Milano... However, my father has owned several spiders in the past, including a Giulietta Spider Veloce. Man, that car was gorgeous!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I may have seen your dad's S-4 in Florida or at one of the AROC conventions. The other Florida car I have seen belonged to the then president of AROC. My car is in Northern California. I have not seen another yellow S-4 on the west coast. A low mileage car sold at auction at an absurd price to due the color. It has been on EBAY several times since at a much lower bid. Maybe one of the Alfa historians knows more details than I do.--Harly

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yellow Spider

Here's a yellow Spider in Portland, OR. Carfax shows this car spent time in Florida and Michigan. I almost bought a brand new yellow one from Beach Imports in Irvine, CA in the early 90's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

I have seen one in Hamiltion, Ontario, Canada in my local Alfa mechanic's shop.

He rebuilt the engine and has been trying to sell it. Even offereing a 2 year warranty!

But the economy and number of Yellow Spider buyers hasn't helped him.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
My 93 yellow S-4 automatic, VIN # ZARBB42NOP7005905, was originally purchased from Robert Ruehman Inc., Pontiac/Alfa Romeo, North Hollywood CA. in Feb. 1994. I think I have the VIN # for the Portland car in my notes. --Harly

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I love the yellow S4's. They look even better in person.
Wish I had a nice one. (manual of course)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the yellow S4's. They look even better in person.
Wish I had a nice one. (manual of course)
I agree completely. When my father told me the one he bought was fly yellow, I was skeptical. But when I saw it in person, I fell in love with it. Can't wait to get it here... Here's a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
buy it from your father? heck he should give it to you:D
nice looking for sure congrats!

·
Registered
512 Posts
I sat in one. Don't quite remember the year I think, it was 93. It was at the san diego car show. It re-affirmed my love for alfa spiders.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
such a beautiful car in yellow.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There have to be a lot more than 20. I have one in NJ. A guy down the street from me had one and sold it. A guy in the Delaware Valley Owners Club has two.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
did they make any of the yellow cars with tan interior?

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
there is certainly more than 20 yellow spiders produced and they didn't all go to the states.
- just a quick search on one sales portal shows:
6 for sale just in Germany
5 for sale just in Italy
(and remember these are cars offered for sale only, not what is driving around on the roads!)

and that is just 2 countries in europe, not to mention the UK, Spain, Portugal, Austria, Netherlands, France, Scandinavia etc.........and then Japan, Australia, NZ, S.Africa etc, etc.

on the other hand, yes.....all have black interiors, at least those that I came across.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote: "Scandinavia etc........." Are you out of your mind ? You know, we Danes, Swedes and Norwegians all hate each other (and love each other):eek:.
Not many S4s in Denmark, but I'm very sure I've seen at least one. But S4s are pretty rare in Denmark thanks to our exorbitant car tax system of up to 180% tax on incl. 25% VAT prices. When cars are 35 years old we can import them and pay 40% of the car's new price tax ($ 2.600), so S1 and S2 are very popular as classics.
Erik

1 - 20 of 26 Posts