Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
No - but maybe.... Really exceptional GTVs have been pulling those numbers for a while, but plenty of the 30 to 40+ cars these days are not that great and seem to be listed again and again despite supposed sales. About 4 years ago a decent running project could be had for 9 to 12. A good driver 15 to 20-22 and a fine, but not concours GTV 30+. The blue one in the link looks very nice, but with a few pictures and two sentence ad who the hell knows? What serious seller lists a car this way, even on CL? Realistically I'd add 5 to 7k for today's market. I may be under-estimating, but I'm not ready to retire on my GTV just yet.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Link could not be opened.
But ORANGE COUNTY might explain a lot.
Leonardo De Caprio might have glanced at it once upon a time.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There are two on eBay now at/over $50k.... So we're really there for the asking. But they haven't sold in weeks...

·
Registered
559 Posts
For the right car I think $50k isn't enough. It's always worth what someone will pay.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
There have been some GTVs---stepnoses---that have gone for that kind of money but I tend to think $50k is still such strong money that its an outlier price. If people are putting that price on a car they're selling, they're most likely trying to boost the market. That said, $50k isn't even break-even costs on a fresh restoration so you'd have trouble building a quality stepnose for that kind of money unless you were doing most of the work yourself. Still, stepnoses and roundtail spiders are definitely sitting on the price escalator and are, IMHO, under-priced compared to sundry 356's and even TR3's. The next year or so will be interesting. At some point our beloved old Alfas may get too expensive to drive and that will be a sad day.

·
Registered
465 Posts
We recently had a '65 stepnose in original unmolested condition advertised for $65k, which is no longer there and assumed sold. I can understand big money for the older Guilia's, but I can't get my head around paying $50k for a mid 70's 2 litre.

Wazza.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
...., but I can't get my head around paying $50k for a mid 70's 2 litre.
Which part... That you can only get 10 show quality GTVs and not 20 for the price of a Ferrari Dino 246GT? Or the price of other collectible classics that are outpacing GTV prices? As the saying goes, a rising tide raises all ships....

·
Administrator
14,505 Posts
This car sold for $54.2k on eBay according to an earlier post. All the details on the car were pretty much spot on... And if the body and mechanicals were as good as everything else looked, it truly needed nothing.
Appears to be incorrectly black under the wheel arches ... but some people like that.
Pete

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I'm not an expert nor is anyone who writes columns for a living on the subject but I sense the market is divided into two bubbles. The bubble (define it in numbers that make you comfortable) below $150,000 and the one above $300,000. The gap between isn't really a bubble as it is pretty much level. I contend the 2%'ers play in the big bubble and as they get richer and we get poorer they eschew the lower bubble (penny stocks to them) and upgrade out of those pieces to jump into the big time bubble thus reducing their collectibles which take space and need as much attention as the high price cars in favor of the blue chip higher strata bubble...

The Scottsdale auctions demonstrated this theory quite succinctly with softening numbers and the number of bid paddles in laps for the E-types, AH 3000's; Lotus Europa and even 911's to name a few. I never heard Charley Ross beg so much for bids in all the time I have watched Gooding auctions. His "this is no money" begs were really wearing thin.

Attribute this to fewer Europeans bidding, a stronger dollar, and lots of inventory.

This puts the GTV and most Alfas we own squarely in the cross-hairs. Witness the 100 point car ( Giulietta Veloce light blue) that was on E-bay a few weeks ago that never garnered an opening bid in the 60's. It's with a dealer and the phone is dead so it wasn't just the E-Bay virus that killed it.

Step-noses and GTV's will hold on to a $35000-45000 range for exceptional cars for awhile with a few going higher for what reason only a lone buyer has but from here, I think the market is in for a slow-down and stability in this lower bubble... but not deflation. the big bubble will go on with very little tugging on the lower one but we are in a stutter phase now. It might take a couple years before that phase kicks in. The 50's are going to be a struggle and maybe even blind squirrels and acorns applies but I wouldn't count on it..

PS: The same thing is going on in real estate in my part of the country.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts