Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,807 Posts
The prudent person in me says if you see sufficient evidence to even ask the question, your better instincts will tell you the answer.
This corrosion is not uncommon, but this looks to me at the worse end of the scale. I'd be very wary myself, especially spirited use. I'd be tempted to find a better set.
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
12,242 Posts
Glass bead clean the corrosion and see how bad it really is. Generally, alloy wheels (other than Lotus "wobbly wheels") are about three times tougher in the corroded area than necessary for all but drifting use.
They also can be repaired by a good alloy wheel restoration shop. If you are still unsure, have them crack checked after media blasting.

·
Registered
360 Posts
How didn't I think to ask this before over here?!

I have a set of 4 Momo Vegas, the later type with the plastic centre cap.
Some time ago I noticed some cracks around the holes where they are mounted and screwed on both front ones.
I believe this happened from somebody overtighting them with the airgun.
Workshops told me that is it quite common for this old type of alloy.
The only thing they could do is to use a file to make the cracks a bit deeper so that they could weld them.
Their opinion is that it is safe, but, is it?
I have resprayed the steel ones and put them on because sometimes I see my speedo indicating 150-160 km/h and I don't event want to imagine what will happen if something happens with the wheels at these speeds...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If in any doubt about cast wheels have them crack tested. If there are cracks....throw away. You can buy new 14" and 15" rims and be happy!

·
Super Moderator
12,242 Posts
Cracks can be repaired, but as Stuart says, cracks in the web, particularly around the mounting stud holes, are the very worst type of failure. The web carries the load in multiple directions. While some oxidation pits in this area are seldom critical, any cracks radiating from the pits or stud hole bores are a very serious flaw.
Replace those wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts