Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two loops welded to the frame at the front of my 1986 Spider Veloce below the spoiler and one at the rear to the right of the muffler. They scrape the ground when entering/leaving driveways. I have not seen them in pictures of other spiders until today. In the "For Sale" forum there is a picture of an '86 Spider Graduate with the same loops. I have attached a picture of that car for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Not certain what yours are. Mine are different, but are not tow loops. The owner manual says not to use them. I think they were intended as tie downs for shipping. My memory is fuzzy on the rear one. I'll check tonight if you don't get an answer.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...are not tow loops. The owner manual says not to use them...
That's correct. They are not for pulling the car, but rather for securing the car once it is on something like a flatbed... There should be 2 similar hooks in the back.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Enrique knows his stuff. Your fittings do seem a lot more prominent and they are different from those on my '85. Check some pics of other '86's.

·
Registered
520 Posts
keep them.

they do a good job of taking hits and protecting the very difficult to replace lower front spoiler while making a sharp scary scratch to keep you aware.

mine are bent to hell and my spoiler is still remarkably unscratched after years in this hellish city

·
Registered
619 Posts
Oh dear god....I HAVE towed my '86 from those hooks. OOOOPS! Better not do that anymore. One more reason to love this BB: You learn something new every day!!

David

·
Registered
218 Posts
Tow hooks????.....I thought those were there to tell me when I have fully entered the parking space.....I wonder why mine are more smooshed then yours....:D

·
Registered
460 Posts
They are not tow hooks - they are for connecting a snow plow.:D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Checked the CarDisk.
In the body section the things are referred to as tow points (or some such). Would never trust the things on my '85. Maybe the '86 and latter versions are way different. The picture mojave posted sure is. I don't think mine has the thing near the spare well, just the 2 below the rear bumper.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
My 87 Quad has a single circular fastening point central, attached to the spare wheel well.
I can tell you it is not very solid. Last e Test, when the car was on the Dyno. The technician put the straps to that point and luckyly stopped quick, as the pull began to distort the well....lucky no damage!
Other than that point I have none on the back og the car.
I do have the two points shown in the pic' they have done a good job in protecting my air dam/front spoiler.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
520 Posts
last S3 made

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mojave, your car she's a butte! and your ?-hooks are in impecable shape. My 86 is just like yours except my mirrors are a little different (white instead of black) and I have pin striping all the way from headlight to tailight down the side. Is yours repainted?

Robert

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mojave, your car she's a butte! and your ?-hooks are in impecable shape. My 86 is just like yours except my mirrors are a little different (white instead of black) and I have pin striping all the way from headlight to tailight down the side. Is yours repainted?

Robert
Whoops! Just read re-read the post and see the pic is a Graduate not a Veloce...no wonder.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whoops! Just read re-read the post and see the pic is a Graduate not a Veloce...no wonder.
It is also not my car. It is a picture of a car that is in the "For Sale" section of the forum. My car is Champagne with bent/scraped loops.

Since all '80s Spiders don't seem to have the loops (at least from pictures I have seen), I wonder if some of them were removed by dealers.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
The S-4 Spiders have them too. I once thought about taking them off but they sure do make great tie downs when hauling the car on a trailer. I think they are strong enough to tow with if your careful.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...Since all '80s Spiders don't seem to have the loops (at least from pictures I have seen), I wonder if some of them were removed by dealers.
No, they weren't removed. In those cars (earlier '80s models) you will find that underneath the front bumpers, and in front of the air dam, there are two bolts which are "U" shaped. Underneath the rear bumper there you will also find two "U" shaped bolts. There really isn't much information on Towing in the Owners Manual. Here is the complete quote from the '84 Owners Manual:
Code:
[B]TOWING[/B]
[B]Important [/B]- Under no circumstances must towing be attempted by attaching chain or cables to the bumpers.
The bumpers are mounted on energy absorbing units that can easily be damaged by towing and render ineffective their low speed protective characteristics.
Also the U-bolts shown in the illustration should never be used for attaching a towing link; they are not designed for this purpose.
I have known for a long time that the bolts (and loops) are used to secure the car when it is being transported, as when on a flatbed. They are not meant to support the full weight of the car, although I have also seen them used to pull a car up on a flatbed. This of course, is precisely what one should not do...

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
mine are all scraped up from the lovely roads of manhattan.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
mine are all scraped up from the lovely roads of manhattan.
A good solution for that is to replace the springs with performance springs. The car will sit a little lower, but it will not bottom out or go too low when hitting bumps, and the overall ride will be better... (I broke 3 oil pan guards in one year, on the lovely roads of The City!!)

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
i have def. though about getting the performance springs. i think the car will even look better a tad bit lower.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts