Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I ordered the set of '74 GTV 2.0 stock exhaust manifolds from a used parts place. Photo attached. I am not sure these are what I am looking for as people have told me that the '74 stock manifolds were two pieces, 1 piece for cylinders 1 and 3, 1 piece for cylinders 2 and 4. What I received appears to be 1 piece for cylinders 1 and 4, 1 piece for cylinders 2 and 3. The whole reason I ordered these is to improve mid range torque in my '88 Spider. Please advise as to whether these are the best early '70's 2.0 liter stock manifolds for mid range performance. Thank you for your help. --John

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
1/4 & 2/3 is the correct configuration Never seen a 1/3 & 2/4 on a stock system

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Greetings. I ordered the set of '74 GTV 2.0 stock exhaust manifolds from a used parts place. Photo attached. I am not sure these are what I am looking for as people have told me that the '74 stock manifolds were two pieces, 1 piece for cylinders 1 and 3, 1 piece for cylinders 2 and 4. What I received appears to be 1 piece for cylinders 1 and 4, 1 piece for cylinders 2 and 3. The whole reason I ordered these is to improve mid range torque in my '88 Spider. Please advise as to whether these are the best early '70's 2.0 liter stock manifolds for mid range performance. Thank you for your help. --John
John, I think I see part numbers cast in. Provide those numbers (different for each piece) and a picture of the other (top) side of the manifolds.

Then we will know for sure. Plus you can provide a measurement across the port where they bolt to the head.

ciao

Ken

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
You got the correct ones, they should make your motor a lot happier!

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
people have told me that the '74 stock manifolds were two pieces, 1 piece for cylinders 1 and 3, 1 piece for cylinders 2 and 4.
That's the last thing you would want. Remember, the firing order is 1-3-4-2. So having 1&2 share a header and 3&4 share a header would have consecutive firing cylinders competing for the the header's capacity. Alfa engineered it right (as usual) by pairing cylinders that fire 360 degrees apart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you!

Thank you everyone, it is nice to know these are the correct manifolds before I get them ceramic coated.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
360 degrees apart?

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
360 degrees apart?
Perhaps it would have been clearer if I had written: "by pairing cylinders that fire 360 degrees of crankshaft rotation apart".

In contrast, john802's proposed 1&2 and 3&4 configuration would have paired cylinders that fire 180 degrees of crankshaft rotation apart.

Make sense?

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Yes, it was more tongue in cheek than anything else.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Question: Was that same manifold used on a 1750 engine, from 1971, or was the earlier manifold different?

·
Registered
726 Posts
They are definitely correct .........NOTE....Check carefully for cracks especially around webbed area the cracks can be very fine and open up with heat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I sent the exhaust manifolds out to be ceramic coated. The shop found a crack, see photo below. So glad I sent them out to be coated. You could not see the crack with all of the rust on them before they were sand blasted.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
PM me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts