Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1983 GTV6...these are in the exhaust system, within a few inches of the exhaust manifolds. There is also no O2 sensor...??? This set up can't be right.....any comments?

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Did US gtv6s have cats that long ago? Looks like different sections of the exhaust have just been renewed at different times with different parts. Maybe a PO has replaced a part of the system with a milano part? Either way, seems like a good excuse for a nice fresh system!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Did US gtv6s have cats that long ago?
In the US, cats started appearing about 1974 and within a few years, virtually all passenger vehicles with petrol engines had them.
All USA version GTV6s, 1981-1986, were fitted with factory cats.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
Sorry, looks like a case of cats and dogs to me! In other words, needs a new cat system. To be USA legal. If that is your thing. And new proper cats won't really hurt performance.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It appears that one of these is a Euro down pipe with it's small muffler. The other is a small replacement muffler in the Euro pipe. As several others have indicated, they are not Cats and probably should be replaced.
KG

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I kinda knew this was some mickey mouse system someone put on. When I get my new engine in....my gut feeling tells me to go ahead and get a cat system with an O2 sensor hooked up from the start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts