Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1959 2000 spider, it seems it never came with door springs. The hinge pins are all about the same length, but the bottom pins should be much longer to accommodate these springs. They don't show up on the parts manual I have, but do on the 2600 spider. Anybody with solid evidence either way? Also, these pins had c-clips mounted and really can't tell if this is correct. Thanks.

·
Push hard and live
9,105 Posts
I’ve got new-manufacture pins in 1488 that have threaded tops on the upper pins. When I dismantled the car, it already had one door removed, but the other had an identically threaded hinge pin AND a spring on it with a rubber cover on the tip of the spring.

I’ve never found anything that would thread onto the hinge pin, so haven’t remounted the springs. I’d like to.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don, the photo shows one of the 4 pins(all the same length)
found on my #0544. The c-clip was installed on each just below the threads. I could find no normal nut to fit the threads as there isn't enough room to turn it. The new spring from OKP is great but needs longer pin to work. Maybe the early spider came without the door springs?????

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Don, the photo shows one of the 4 pins(all the same length)
found on my #0544. The c-clip was installed on each just below the threads. I could find no normal nut to fit the threads as there isn't enough room to turn it. The new spring from OKP is great but needs longer pin to work. Maybe the early spider came without the door springs????? View attachment 1605806
I have had 12 two liter spiders since 1965 and have never seen door springs on any of them. I suspect they came only on the 2600 because even the Touring factory realized the two liter doors needed something.

·
Push hard and live
9,105 Posts
Ah, but 1488, special ordered in 1960, still had one spring in place after sitting in storage since some time in the early 70s.

Who knows?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I got the pln dimensions of their replacement from Franz at OKP - 10x103mm. My 4 pins are 9x83mm. I am guessing this change happened with the 2600 and the spring intro. Interesting mystery but not a big deal.(the 2600 part# starts with a 102 though).

·
Push hard and live
9,105 Posts
There’s so much tiny history we don’t know.

We often read, about Touring cars, “but it could be special ordered from the factory”. But, was this just common knowledge and handled via a phone call? Or, were there a couple of pages listing little personal embellishments that could be specified?

I’ve got an ad by Hoffman that’s shows the dual, full-length stainless side trim strips as an added-cost option. Most of us recognize those as a Euro-spec standard, but as a US option? The labor to install at Hoffman would not have been cheap, so perhaps that was just a teaser to encourage other special-order-only add-one?

I think that the longer pins having a 102 number hints at a late-series update, or earlier option. As I noted, I found what must have been an original spring on one door, and it’s mate in a box of loose parts. I know the total weight of the door on my 1960 is more than my 59. The 2600 door, with the vent windows, would have been heavier still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts