Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I agree that you should look for shops outside of LA. I'd recommend my shop here in Santa Barbara, but they've just changed hands and I can't vouch for their work. But I can tell you that I stopped by every single Alfa shop in the LA area a few years ago when I needed some work done to my GTV, and eventually ended up going to Stewart Sandeman in Orange County. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go to Benny at Alfa Romance - he struck me not only as as very knowledgeable, but also kind, honest and fair. Since he has already done work on your car (I assume you were satisfied?), why not ask Benny if he knows of any shops that he can recommend? I would trust his advice.
Struzi- Thanks for the suggestion of asking Benny at Alfa Romance. You nailed him. He is quite knowledgeable, very fair, and I couldn’t be happier with the man and with his work. I did ask him about a paint shop and he gave a number that I tried calling several times. The phone rang three or four times and would go blank, no dial tone, just silent. I had to give credit for that mystery to Covid-19. For anyone in L.A. who is looking for an exceptional mechanic, really decent fella, very fair, especially if you are on the west side, give Benny a call at John’s Alfa Romance. As I understand it, Benny apprenticed with John, then worked for him and bought the business when John retired. He doesn’t have a lot of room at his shop, so it is best to make an appointment.

Be well

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow do I feel lucky, I have a buddy that has owned a body shop for 20+years that always takes care of what I need.

He is currently repainting my sisters 1988 spider, not a concourse paint job but a very nice one.
Removed all the bumpers, trim, emblems, door handles, etc. Had him leave in the glass.
Blasted the entire car (no hidden rust anywhere!), fixed all the door dings and bumps the car had accumulated over the years.
Primed and painted with high quality paints (even chip-guarded the lower sides like factory also had him do the front spoiler)
His guys had over 40 hours in just prep work, luckily they are slow now and had extra time to spend on it.

Entire job along with hand pin striping will be $3500, (I know that will be pretty close to just covering his costs).

Pictures from in paint booth make the color look more grey then blue.
Just need buffing, pin-striping, and then final assembly.

View attachment 1635365 View attachment 1635366 View attachment 1635367 View attachment 1635368
You are lucky. $3,500? I’d be perfectly happy with that kind of work at twice that number. Your buddy is a bit far from SoCal for somebody with finite means, though. Even so, I really like that color and you say it is original? My Spider is about as uninteresting as possible painted in May of ‘88 (model yr ‘89) in Bianco. (Yawn) Thanks for establishing a clique of international envy of your sister’s car. lol
Be well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Glad you were able to check them out. I can tell you Tom at HUB does a fairly quick turn around while doing great work. Four of the people here in my office have had work done by him and all have been very happy with it. I have two young kids who seem to find parking lot poles at least a couple of times a year and a wife who does the same so Tom has done a fair amount of paint work for me. Most of it has been non insurance since I have high deductibles.
As for the water, I am very blessed. I look out my front window and across the street I see a 48 foot catamaran belonging to my neighbor, a doctor,that has been around the world on three different occasions. Never gotten to go with him and his family but he has some great stories. A few years ago when his kids were in high school he and his wife decided to home school them and sail from Ventura to the Mediterranean. They got a real life education in life in other parts of the world. They sailed for a little over two years. Covered all of the Mediterranean and parts of Africa. He has an MGA and a sprite and we have garage wars over who has the most tools (he wins easily, if I have one or two of something he has five or six). The down side is I am always fighting rust and, as Neil Young said, "rust never sleeps". Good quality Stainless steel fasteners and car covers even in doors have become my best friends

Have a happy and safe fourth.

Ventura Alfa

21 - 23 of 23 Posts