Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I don’t hold much hope for responses to thIs question I’m gonna give it a try. The only posts a search for this yielded were one to two decades old and had only the question with no responses. Located in the Hollywood, West Hollywood, Hollywood Hills area would be excellent. I’ve checked with virtually every repair, body and paint shop in the area and a fair area afield of that that appears to have the facilities to do a proper job. Almost as if they conspired and developed a consensus response, when asked if they’ll paint my ‘89 Spider Veloce the shop will ask about body damage. Aside from door dings there isn’t any. ‘Sorry, we don’t do just paint jobs.’ If the car was wrecked and in need of body work, then they will paint the car, and to the number they all confirm that is so. That’s a price I’d prefer not to pay.

One shop, Theatrical on Melrose, said they’d paint it for $15,000.00. I’d expect an extraordinary finish for that and, in fact the amount was more than twice what the owner had told me in a ballpark guesstimate a couple of months prior. Although a bit sticker shocked I agreed to that sum and may have to go there yet; however, Theatrical made an appointment for me to bring the car in on 20 January ‘20, three months from when the appointment was being made. I offered a substantial deposit to secure the spot, but was told that wouldn’t be necessary. The car’s interior is 95% percent removed, as is the top, to receive the new interior and canvas after it is painted, so I couldn’t drive to the shop. I called Theatrical to confirm the appointment the morning of the 20th before I called for the flatbed to carry the car down there. Fidel, the owner, refused the car at that time and I had to have it hauled back home. Said he didn’t know who he was talking to when I confirmed. (Yep, that’s his excuse.) Even more than the price, for that reason I’d prefer not to go there.

I’ve been trying to locate another shop since January. I had two coach work shops in mind as alternatives, unfortunately, one on Santa Monica Blvd has been replaced by ‘luxury apartments’, the other on La Cienega has vanished and left no trace. No other shop is willing to accept the work without wrecking the car first. What’s wrong with this picture. In the time between reneging on my appointment until now I’ve had the car rewired by the Silva’s in West L.A. and Benny at Alfa Romance has gone over the mechanical to make sure all is as it should be. Towing fees to those shops were substantial, so I’ve bolted in the stripped down driver’s seat to be able to drive it around to various shops. I was looking forward to some fun summer drives, but the sun is setting on that idea. Any recommendations will be deeply appreciated. I’ve set myself an Independence Day deadline on finding an alternative to Theatrical. After the holiday I’m reconciled to check back with Fidel, so I’m very hopeful someone knows a shop with clean and drying rooms that will do a decent paint job. Thank you to the alfabb for continuing to be an essential element enabling me to indulge in such a fun automobile.

Be well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Tom at HUB autobody in Saticoy near Ventura, CA. (805) 647-2715. Probably half the price that you got and twice the paint job. If you google him you will see several classic mustangs and other cars he has done.A tow from where you are to there and the paint job will probably be still far less than the quote you got. I have had him do work on several of my cars and been very satisfied with the job he has done. I am about to have him do some rust repair on my spider. If you don't have him do it Saticoy autobody is just down the street. They are more expensive and do a lot of the lowrider custom type paint jobs.

Ventura Alfa

·
Super Moderator
10,817 Posts
There's something wrong with that picture. Like VenturaAlfa reports for Ventura County, we certainly have body & paint shops here in Orange County who will do restoration work. Perhaps LA County has environmental restrictions that are driving out body & paint shops.

That "Theatrical" shop sounds like a disaster. I think Fidel did you a favor by turning away your business. You can certainly find someone better, but may have to travel outside of town to do so.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,093 Posts
Paint is the last on my list and I am almost there.... then I thought, what about a wrap? Although very nice my car is a driver not a show car. I am leaning toward a wrap in Rosso Competizone..... why not? It is easily reversible if I change my mind.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow do I feel lucky, I have a buddy that has owned a body shop for 20+years that always takes care of what I need.

He is currently repainting my sisters 1988 spider, not a concourse paint job but a very nice one.
Removed all the bumpers, trim, emblems, door handles, etc. Had him leave in the glass.
Blasted the entire car (no hidden rust anywhere!), fixed all the door dings and bumps the car had accumulated over the years.
Primed and painted with high quality paints (even chip-guarded the lower sides like factory also had him do the front spoiler)
His guys had over 40 hours in just prep work, luckily they are slow now and had extra time to spend on it.

Entire job along with hand pin striping will be $3500, (I know that will be pretty close to just covering his costs).

Pictures from in paint booth make the color look more grey then blue.
Just need buffing, pin-striping, and then final assembly.

·
Registered
74 Spider 78 Spider 84 Spider
466 Posts
blasted to bare metal paint job for 3500? Nice color too. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, but the shop is owned by a friend of mine.
I don't know if he even covered his expenses this time.
He basically just wanted to give his guys something to work on while they were slow.
Good thing I took him up on it, they are starting to get busier now....

Thanks, that is done in the original color: Blu Medio Met AR370.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Easy there.... I am a delicate flower!
There are a load of Alpha repair shops in LA. Talk to your favorite for a paint shop reference. It's what I plan on doing on my Super.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't only focus on your local area.
Check with family and friends to see if they have any connections.

That is what my sister did, she lives in Virginia, but is having it painted in Minnesota since she knew I had a guy.
Even with moving the car back and forth, she is way ahead.

Her and her husband will fly here next month and drive the car back to VA.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I here they do phenomenal body and paint work in Argentina and Poland for dirt cheap. Seriously most large body shops are tuned into the lucrative insurance collision repair business and are not going to do a restoration paint job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Baja with my '91 Spider Veloce. We have some excellent body shops down here in Tijuana, Rosarito, and Ensenada. It's an easy drive from LA, I understand. I need to get mine painted, so if you're interested, I'll post some names when I get them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tom at HUB autobody in Saticoy near Ventura, CA. (805) 647-2715. Probably half the price that you got and twice the paint job. If you google him you will see several classic mustangs and other cars he has done.A tow from where you are to there and the paint job will probably be still far less than the quote you got. I have had him do work on several of my cars and been very satisfied with the job he has done. I am about to have him do some rust repair on my spider. If you don't have him do it Saticoy autobody is just down the street. They are more expensive and do a lot of the lowrider custom type paint jobs.

Ventura Alfa
Ventura Alfa-
That you replied is most excellent. You must be close to the water up there in Ventura if you are rust spotting on your Spider. In asking around I did locate someone, although I have a strong suspicion he’s a back yard kinda guy and that’s not what I’m after. Haven’t actually met him yet. Found him through the smog guy I’ve gone to for years who is the acting rep for both of us. Lol. I used to teach at VNHS a little South of that area of the valley where HUB is, so If Tom was one of my kids I hope he earned good grades. Wouldn’t want him to take revenge on my one remaining pleasure/vice, Alfa. Saticoy autobody sounds like a good place to at least check to see what’s in the works. If those guys were at VNHS, and they were/are barrio boys, they likely were my kids. Have to pay both shops a visit on Monday. You know, I’ve been growing increasingly disheartened after the Fidel/Theatrical experience, all the shops that said we don’t do only paint jobs, then no productive threads on ol’ reliable, the alfabb. Your recs put the wrinkles back by my eyes, and counterintuitively, that is a really good thing. Phoenix rising, again! Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's something wrong with that picture. Like VenturaAlfa reports for Ventura County, we certainly have body & paint shops here in Orange County who will do restoration work. Perhaps LA County has environmental restrictions that are driving out body & paint shops.

That "Theatrical" shop sounds like a disaster. I think Fidel did you a favor by turning away your business. You can certainly find someone better, but may have to travel outside of town to do so.
Alfa Jay, thanks for the response and you may be right about the need to wander a bit farther afield. Ventura gives me hope with his recs, and I’m stunned when I see all the responses, so there are likely to be several others. The folks on this bb truly are the best, most helpful and openly generous of their time of any forum on the web. Thanks to all. Will work my way through the posts here this evening if that’s possible. lol Thanks AlfaJay and all present.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that you should look for shops outside of LA. I'd recommend my shop here in Santa Barbara, but they've just changed hands and I can't vouch for their work. But I can tell you that I stopped by every single Alfa shop in the LA area a few years ago when I needed some work done to my GTV, and eventually ended up going to Stewart Sandeman in Orange County. If I were to do it again, I think I'd go to Benny at Alfa Romance - he struck me not only as as very knowledgeable, but also kind, honest and fair. Since he has already done work on your car (I assume you were satisfied?), why not ask Benny if he knows of any shops that he can recommend? I would trust his advice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If you're still looking for a shop to paint your car, I have a company I've been working with for 18 years. They're in Chatsworth, CA and the owner is Ed Bernal. He's a magician when it comes to PDR, he's a good painter and he's a really great guy. He uses quality materials (Glasurit) and I've seen big money cars in his shop. I've been pleased with the work he's done for me; I send him personal business, as well as cars for my business. Call him at (818) 987-7748. Tell him Greg Kimura sent you. He'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ventura Alfa, Mercy, did I get it wrong. When I read Saticoy I immediately thought of the familiar one here in Los Angeles in the San Fernando Valley. That’s not so bad, I thought, and no problem getting back and forth by Uber or even public trans. So, when I looked up both HUB and Saticoy I discovered they are in your neck of SoCal, in Ventura. What the heck, drove up there anyway Monday. Tom wasn’t in at HUB, but his man gave me a card said he’d be in the next day. Over at Saticoy, where they had some late model Maseratis, a ‘52 Ford convertible, among others, they gave a ball park of $5k which is about right IMHO. I asked about interior work and they gave the number of their sub man, Rene, on Central at the 101. Tried going by, but I only had a phone and no v.m. available, so I drove around but nothing looked promising. I‘ll be darned if just before sunset when I was giving the car a quick bath before putting it under the covers for the night, he called. Am sending him a bunch of interior pics so he can see what there is to do. At 120 miles I wasn’t eager to turn around and do it all again the following day. But, both leads seemed credible, Sorry didn’t get to meet Tom at HUB but will check in with him. Those two shops are only a little over a block apart. Wanted to thank you again and give a status on your recs. Much appreciated. The bb was great, as usual, so there are others to check out yet, and honestly the only concern is 120 miles. Have to convince myself to spring for a rental car for however long it takes to complete the paint and interior, maybe a month or more? That is something to consider.

Be well

1 - 20 of 23 Posts