Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Oy, after searching around the forum and not finding a **** thing, I took the easy way out and looked at my own curtesy light timer. (I can't imagine yours would be different)

Sipea 12V 0679 is all it's got on it (well, barring 'made in Italy' of course). No clue on the heated window bit as it's nothing my car has but I guess that would have to do with whether the heating thing is on a timer or if it's just a straight up conection you turn on and off.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Bosch # 0332019150 is the same one for above as used on the horns and such, but has a mounting tab built onto it so it can be screwed down. (a good parts counter should be able to get you the tab-less version, or you can just cut it off)

I can go back out and get you the #'s off the ones in my fusebox now if you'd prefer.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Well..... That was pathetic.

The only one I have in there to look at (horns) is not even a brand anyone would recognize (MOS or SMO or something) and the numbers are scrubbed off it to boot.

Sorry.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
relays

Oh, wait......

'Heated rear window remote control switch' shows it being the same relay as the power window relay and horns relay in the diagram I'm holding.

One my car those are a 0440 relay, metal jacketed cheap small type.

I think my brother-in-law stuck the light timer relay (Sipea 12V 0679) in the heated rear window relay slot when he had the car as he didn't like the interior lights coming on and he could never remember which position of the switch turned them off completely. My car doesn't have a hard top so that was a good place holder for the relay. Now I have two, the one in the heated rear window slot and the one from the used fuse box.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
mabe find the wire in the back that would hook up to the hardtop, (would it be present on all versions regardless?) plug the relay in, turn the key on, then get after that wire with a multimeter.

Or do you even have the rear window defog switch thingie on your console? Or better yet, are the contacts in the fuse panel even there to plug the relay into? (Mine has empty socket holes where there's no relevant wiring/accesory)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mine has the connector in the back behind the convertible top to plug the hardtop defroster into, but no switch anywhere on the dash. At the box, it appears that the relay is connected in the back as the relays with just fall out without the corresponding female connectors in the back. (I know this from the used fuse box I purchased.) Other than no switch, it makes sense as Graduates were prewired for everything the Veloce and Quads had. For instance, I have the connections behind the dash for the map light and the mirror vanity light. The power window wiring is also present in the center console and the wires terminate behind the doors. I thought about adding them to the car prior to cutting holes in the new door panels for the cranks, but decided against it. More $ and something else to go wrong.

Can anyone with a Quad tell me where the switch for the rear defroster would be located?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
At the box, it appears that the relay is connected in the back as the relays with just fall out without the corresponding female connectors in the back.

Likely you could see the female connectors in the little slots the panel where the relay plugs in then.

Mine doesn't have the wiring or connectors present for that stuff, but then again, the version I have was never intended to have it to begin with.

Just a straight up Grad with prolly a note stuck to it as it rolled down the line saying 'just enough to run' on it.

·
Registered
520 Posts
thats correct tifosi. i have the defoggers. they look like foglight switch or hazard switch.

this is actually a really informative thread for me. this info is impossible to find from the schematics. im missing my timer (is it called 'dimmer' sometimes?) and defogger relay.

so is the 0440 for late bosch spiders?

all of these are available by their number at VicksAutomitve.com if you can get that original number...

·
Registered
520 Posts
its all linked-up too. so when i turn on the overhead lamp on the hardtop, it turns on the floor laps in the knee bolsters.

really nice.

i recently bought and installed the optional corded maplight for the glove compartment. there was a wire waiting for it behind the glove's pocket once removed and it works great. but does anyone know how these were mounted?? it looks like its supposed to screw on somewhere.

does anyone have the maplight installed and can show me? or is it perhaps in the cardisc?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glove Box Map Light

i recently bought and installed the optional corded maplight for the glove compartment. there was a wire waiting for it behind the glove's pocket once removed and it works great. but does anyone know how these were mounted?? it looks like its supposed to screw on somewhere.

does anyone have the maplight installed and can show me? or is it perhaps in the cardisc?
So you were one of they guys outbidding me last week:mad:.
There were two NOS map lights for sale on ebay last week. I think they went for over $55 each. Maybe next time for me.

Can anyone that has a factory mounted one (Quad owners), take pictures and post it for us?

·
Registered
520 Posts
kunz im always warring with you on ebay dude.

when im on something, its always k**z on it too.

the guys selling that maplight are the REAL DEAL. they sent me 3 NOS Ricambi parts in original packaging and even in an original Alfa Parts box! this seller out of SantaBarbara has a brick/mortar location that im thinking of driving up to see. i was blown away.

let me know if you really need something next time in PM and i will back down. sometimes i just buy it to have it in the future...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sicilan,
Is the 5th one (heated rear windows) relay a 0440 (small metal jacketed one) on your car?
no definitely not metallic. metallic are intermittent relays for indicators.

Tifosi says (and its not too hard to read this off of the wiring schematic) that the horn, radio, and defogger are the same type of relay.

makes sense. they usually have a specific function. the dimmer relay waits 20 seconds before closing the circuit. the indicator relay turns off and on intermittently, etc.

but the horn, radio, defog, theyre all just simple relays to avoid fire-hazards. (in case somebody spills a soda on an electrical item)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wonder if the courtesy light relay would work for the defogger. That way you wouldn't have to remember to turn the switch off. If it would handle the same amps, I bet it would work, but I couldn't test that theory as I don't have a top.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If it worked (not sure it would due to terminal layout, but some parusing of the diagrams may give an answer to that) it would turn the defogger off after 20 seconds unless you did some kind of bypass switch like the door switches do with the curtesy lights. (as long as the door is open, they will stay on regardless of the timer)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking at the schematics, I was thinking it would operate the same as you described. If you shut the car off and the defog switch was on, would it defog again for 20 seconds once you turned the key back on again?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts