Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel tank that was in the Junior donor looks to be past economic repair, but before I make that decision for sure I wanted to see if anyone had experience with the replacement ones from International Auto or Centerline etc.

I also have a good Spider tank that I could adapt by harvesting the filler neck from the Junior I suppose.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
I also have a good Spider tank that I could adapt by harvesting the filler neck from the Junior I suppose.
I had a perfectly good tank for my GT and I still cut off the filler neck, shortened it by 1", and re-mounted it using rubber hose + 2 clampls. I did it that way because:

- Makes it possible to use a modern fuel pump nozzle (the stock fuel opening sits up too high relative to the cavity behind the filler door).

- Makes it easier to install the gas tank and rubber boot around the filler cavity.

I mention this because if you have any fit problems with your used spider tank, or a new tank, they will probably be in the filler area. But if you do the "cut and section" thing, those issues go away.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jay - thanks for the response. Sorry if I am being more dim than usual, but is the rubber hose now covering a gap in the metal (which allows you easier positing of everything)?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Not answering for Jay here but the filler neck sits too high for today's fuel nozzles. I did not do this when I refit my tank last time but since I pulled the tank for painting I will be doing this for sure when I refit again!

Jay will clear up for us but it seems like the gap must be less than 1" since that is the amount removed from the neck.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gene.

·
Super Moderator
11,545 Posts
... it seems like the gap must be less than 1" since that is the amount removed from the neck.
Gene is correct: The gap is pretty much zero. You cut out about an inch (measure first - my memory might be hazy - perhaps I took out 3/4"), and when you are done, the two pieces of tube are butted, with the hose connecting them.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gene is correct: The gap is pretty much zero. You cut out about an inch (measure first - my memory might be hazy - perhaps I took out 3/4"), and when you are done, the two pieces of tube are butted, with the hose connecting them.
Thanks for the clarification Jay. The OC Alfa Mafia comes through again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts