Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thinking about replacing my stock exhaust.

i know stebro's are $$.

ansa is obviously the cheaper way to go.

looking for more of a vintage sounding alfa.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
had a Stebro exhaust system and the sound was great much better than stock. My Stebro exhaust system had a front open chamber resonator not a cat. I believe they called it a euro cat?

I replace the Stebro exhaust system when I rebuilt the engine. The new exhaust system has a 2.5" pipe size, a "Burns Stainless" merge collector and one flow through middle muffler vs Stebro's 2" pipe size, front resonator, open chamber middle and rear muffler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
had a Stebro exhaust system and the sound was great much better than stock. My Stebro exhaust system had a front open chamber resonator not a cat. I believe they called it a euro cat?

I replace the Stebro exhaust system when I rebuilt the engine. The new exhaust system has a 2.5" pipe size, a "Burns Stainless" merge collector and one flow through middle muffler vs Stebro's 2" pipe size, front resonator, open chamber middle and rear muffler.
Murray, what did you do with the Stebro exhaust system, still laying around waiting for anxious hands to grab it off of the shelf???

·
Registered
117 Posts
Where can I buy a Stebro? Does it eliminate the cat? I just paid decent $$ for a new cat--hadda pass NY inspection and the old one was s-h-o-t. I'd love to replace the muffler with a good sounding piece though.

Frank

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There's a twist to the NYS inspection laws that allows you to get away with some cat tricks if you are outside the actual NYC area (where they sniff test):

If it's pre-OBDII (yours is) and doesn't have to pass an actual sniffer test as part of the regular annual inspection in your area, the catylist is a visual check only.

This means all they can do is look underneath and see that there is something that appears to be a converter there, but cannot test, rattle, bump, hit or otherwise check to see if it's functional. Nor can they legally fail it if they do bump, hit or otherwise check that it's actually intact.

In other words, you 'could' put a straightpipe in that section and have an old cat shell tacked on outside it, or you 'could' take an old stock cat and knock the guts out of it and use it as a front expansion chamber ala' the orginal pre-catylist era exhaust setup. (*cough* not saying I've done the latter *cough* but is does give a bit more low end punch and certainly more growl, not to mention flowing more freely and passing visual inspection with flying colors......)

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alfa Spider OEM cats were very restrictive, but if these are replaced by modern free flowing cats (much better designs and materials), the difference is night and day... We must remember that during the time when our cats were first fitted to our Spiders, the industry as a whole was struggling with emissions, but it is very different today... (If you removed the cat from a modern car you wouldn't see an increase in performance.) There have been several threads discussing this, so I would encourage people to do a search.

Best regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts